Firefox 3.6 support for XP and Win 2000 to end

hazelnut

I'm usually a reluctant upgrader with browsers, but as mentioned in that article, Firefox has improved greatly since the 3.6 days, and even I've reached the dizzy heights of version 10.01.

Agree with you Dennis...but you have 2 more steps to go and only one to stay within 10.x...10.0.2 is your next step :P

I have to do a rebuild next week on a WXP station and I will see how v10 or 11 work with memory. Only reason to sticking with the older version is they take up less memory to run, but so dog slow to load :(

25qd6wl.jpg

Agree with you Dennis...but you have 2 more steps to go and only one to stay within 10.x...10.0.2 is your next step :P

I have to do a rebuild next week on a WXP station and I will see how v10 or 11 work with memory. Only reason to sticking with the older version is they take up less memory to run, but so dog slow to load :(

I've found firefox v11 to be most stable on a single-core 512MB RAM Windows XP SP3 machine. Chrome seems to use A LOT more memory of this machine for some reason.

I am been waiting and waiting for v11.01 to come out before I gave v10 an update. Previously the next version was out already, so I just may have to jump into v11 before 11.01 comes out and try it out.

25qd6wl.jpg

• Moderators

Upgraded to 10.0.2 about 20 minutes ago, which popped up the "Your Firefox is out of date" page, so I thought "what the hell", and downloaded version 11.0.

Your trick of editing the theme rdf file worked it's simple magic again, and FF 11.0 is running fine with my favourite theme.

Just for info, I've got the spell checker working fine, as it did in version 10.0.1 and 10.0.2, after installing the latest English/British dictionary.

https://addons.mozil...ionary/?src=api

And just for anyone who hasn't done this, although you may have the "check spelling" menu item checked, you still have to activate the spell checker in the same right click menu.

I sent this to my mom, hoping to will her into giving up her piece of crap computer that I'm tired of looking at.

She said "So do I have to go back to internet explorer?"

I told her "No, they're actually shutting off the internet to your computer," but I don't think she believed me.

This is what the quality engineer for Mozilla thinks could be the answer for those who won't update from 3.6... brick their pc.

http://groups.google...74b33311b0e8552

Now, that's not nice! If they do that, it will ruin their trust ratings. And people will see Mozilla AS a virus.

That's like saying, if you don't have a 2012 car with the latest safety features, we will destroy your 1996 car that's good on gas!

Support will end on April 24th, more info here

http://majorgeeks.co...ry.php?id=33926

I am quite fine with that, seeing win2k is not much if any faster than XP, doesn't look as nice, & just plain doesn't have some of the more advanced capabilities that XP does.

Similar, but definitely not a clone. Some programs will not work on 2k that do work on XP without tweaking or modding, & that shouldn't be necessary.

Since Mozilla team says abandoning 2K allows them to abandon legacy coding & make things much faster by FF13, I am all for it. FF13, get here already! LOL!

I've found firefox v11 to be most stable on a single-core 512MB RAM Windows XP SP3 machine. Chrome seems to use A LOT more memory of this machine for some reason.

yes, can i say :-) but i use 3.6.28 and it need less ram then ff 11, i mean, but ff needs less than chrome

is 3.6.29 the last of 3.6?

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

I think the version-jumps are not justified in firefox .

bad takeover from chrome to ff.

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"

also i dont like the menu bar or guide from ff 4 and above

but luckily i have still the k-meleon B)

how is it with windows 15 ;) minimum system requirement: 65 core cpu, 200 gb ram, 3 tb harddisk etc. :D

I wish they would support XP a little longer; dropping support for 2000 I can understand.

I am not worried about that. Older versions will still work on XP, & they will still have Opera, Safari, Chrome, K-Meleon (probably Pale Moon & other FF derivatives) that will work fine.

Additionally, even if the installer no longer installs to XP, it may be possible to copy the Mozilla Firefox program files folder to a flash drive after it is already installed to Vista/7 & import it under XP. This will remove the installer limitation, since this will only be presented BEFORE an installation begins.

I wish they would support XP a little longer; dropping support for 2000 I can understand.

yeah, I have that feeling too....both support from FF and MS.

What you see is what you get. :)

how is it with windows 15 ;) minimum system requirement: 65 core cpu, 200 gb ram, 3 tb harddisk etc. :D

..wow...what's that gonna turn out to be? A robot? :D

What you see is what you get. :)