problem with defraggler

Dimanious

i downloaded defraggler yesterday. started defragmenting today and during the proccess i notice free disk space is going downwards. started with 145gb free space and defraggler has made it go down significantly its down to 130gb free space. defragmenting is not done yet so i am wondering, will the free disk space go back up once defragmenting is done? because i though defragmenting would help free up space.. not take space.. please someone reply to me as soon as possible. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Yup.

System restore points, especially in Vista, continue to take snapshots, even while you are defragging (part of Volume Shadow Copy).

I believe the currently suggested fix is as you stated or simply disabling System restore, restarting, defragging, re-enabling System Restore and immediately making a new restore point (all previous points are lost).

PITA, but until MSFT provides a way for folks to pause it without losing restore points...what can we do?

• 4 weeks later...

i am running vista home premium sp1 al last update level.

i have the same problem:

space reduction on my laptop.

aftter each defraggler run my free space is getting less..

the post regarding the restore points do not apply to my situation..

i delete all restore points except the last one before and after the runs.

i think this is a big problem.

after two runs (for testing purposes) i lost about 5 gb of free space.

i am using the version 1.02.085, but i noticed the same problem with the previous version too.

thank you for any help/suggestions

pippo cavalieri

• 1 month later...

None of the suggestions as to recovering the lost space worked for me (VISTA Home Premium). Lost 6 GB on a 55 GB partition after running new Defraggler. Had to restore my drive from an image backup! Running the 'Check drive for problems' restored about 1/3 of the lost space; deleting Restore Points did nothing. Would be afraid to trust this software until these problems are solved.

I need to add that, prior to Defraggler, my partition was about half used, and half freespace.

None of the suggestions as to recovering the lost space worked for me (VISTA Home Premium). Lost 6 GB on a 55 GB partition after running new Defraggler. Had to restore my drive from an image backup! Running the 'Check drive for problems' restored about 1/3 of the lost space; deleting Restore Points did nothing. Would be afraid to trust this software until these problems are solved.

I gained about 5 gigs but i should of gained 15 gigs so you are probably right.

• 2 months later...
yeah the same thing happened to me but after clicking on "check drive for errors" under action my HDD percent went back to normal from 83% back to 78%

THANK!!!!

I ran Defraggler and after around an hour I noticed I lost 6.1GB (from 48gb free to 41.9!)!!! and it was only 30% done! So I Immediately stopped Defragmentation and searched online about it. It seemed that it has been happening to alot of people and the most common explanation was "System Restore Points", some suggested me to run a disk cleanup and after elaborating the search on that I found that the Built in Disk Cleanup (in vista) would >>>>DELETE ALL things on a hrad drive<<<< (due to some registry problem). Anyways I left that alone. [use CCleaner instead!! haha]

Then I found this post and I tried the thing where in Defragger click 'Action' (in top left) > 'Advance' > 'Check drive for errors' and to my relief I gained all my GBs back after 'Verifying Drive'!!! yay!!! Not only did I gain it back, i got an additional 1.6GB!!!!

So from 48GB Free, I ran Defraggler ...... after 30%defrag it became 41.9GB....stopped it.... ran dive check.... now have 49.6GB free.

THANK!!!!

I ran Defraggler and after around an hour I noticed I lost 6.1GB (from 48gb free to 41.9!)!!! and it was only 30% done! So I Immediately stopped Defragmentation and searched online about it. It seemed that it has been happening to alot of people and the most common explanation was "System Restore Points", some suggested me to run a disk cleanup and after elaborating the search on that I found that the Built in Disk Cleanup (in vista) would >>>>DELETE ALL things on a hrad drive<<<< (due to some registry problem). Anyways I left that alone. [use CCleaner instead!! haha]

Then I found this post and I tried the thing where in Defragger click 'Action' (in top left) > 'Advance' > 'Check drive for errors' and to my relief I gained all my GBs back after 'Verifying Drive'!!! yay!!! Not only did I gain it back, i got an additional 1.6GB!!!!

So from 48GB Free, I ran Defraggler ...... after 30%defrag it became 41.9GB....stopped it.... ran dive check.... now have 49.6GB free.

I just continued my run of Defraggler to defrag my C drive. And now instead of decreasing free space I'm gaining Free space of the defrag process goes on. It seems that I needed to Check Disks before anything.

Edit: My bad, it did inscrease at first but after 38% of defrag the Free memory space got reduced again!! no!. Good thing I know the solution :D haha.

Update: My final Free space after Defrag is now 69.6GB (from the original 48gb) I gained over 21GB!!!