Cookies do not delete!

Judesman

I can delete cookies in Tools/Internet Options/Delete Browsing History. I can also delete cookies in CCleaner/Internet Explorer/(Tick the Cookies Box). But if I go to CCleaner/Options/Cookies there is a whole list of Cookies still there under a heading "Cookies to Delete". So why are these Cookies not being deleted when I run CCleaner or for that matter when I delete cookies in Internet Explorer? Can anyone help please?

• Moderators

Hi Judesman, and welcome to the forum.

Do you have all browser boxes checked in "Applications", including Opera, which isn't checked by default. Also "Adobe Flash Player" (which accounts for "Flash Cookies")?

And have you rebooted to complete the deletion of index.dat files?

If you've covered these options, which Operating System and which version of CCleaner are you using?

I can delete cookies in Tools/Internet Options/Delete Browsing History. I can also delete cookies in CCleaner/Internet Explorer/(Tick the Cookies Box). But if I go to CCleaner/Options/Cookies there is a whole list of Cookies still there under a heading "Cookies to Delete". So why are these Cookies not being deleted when I run CCleaner or for that matter when I delete cookies in Internet Explorer? Can anyone help please?

There are 2 other threads already on this topic:

My link

My link

Many users are experiencing this problem with the latest version of Ccleaner. The new version seems to be detecting a listing of old cookies which the previous didn't detect.

I have this problem, the cookies are listed in 'Cookies to delete' but when I do a search on my PC for these cookies, it fails to find them!

I have uninstalled the latest version of Ccleaner and reinstalled the previous version and now the 'cookies to delete' box is empty.

Hopefully this problem will be sorted out soon.

Hi andypryce and DennisD. Thank you for your replies. I am using version 2.29.1111 and it sounds as though I should stick with it for the time being although it is not up to date. I have ticked Adobe Reader 9 and Adobe Flash Player under Applications and all the Cookies have now been deleted in Options. So that has resolved that although it doesn't explain why all the Cookies are not deleted when deleting in Internet Explorer.

DennisD, I did not have any boxes ticked under Applications as, to be honest, I did not know what applying CCleaner to this section would do. I can't find much information about this anywhere so some help would be appreciated. I am using Win7 and IE 8.

Many thanks.

• Moderators

I did not have any boxes ticked under Applications as, to be honest, I did not know what applying CCleaner to this section would do. I can't find much information about this anywhere so some help would be appreciated. I am using Win7 and IE 8.

Many thanks.

Applications section, just like system section just cleans temporary files (for instance the microsoft office entries delete recently opened files lists) for the full files of what is in the included section, these files list exactly what is cleaned ( http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=15307 ) most recent version is at the end of the thread

Also the docs.piriform.com site is very informative http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/ccleaner-rules/applications-tab

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I've had a couple of problems with cookies. The first was because I didn't have Flash checked. It didn't occur to me that Flash stored cookies too. The other was with Firefox. There were some cookies in the "Cookies to Delete" column that wouldn't go away. I didn't have Firefox checked because I have it set up to handle its own cookies. But finally I checked Cookies under Firefox and that got rid of 'em. They never showed in the Firefox cookie manager so I have no idea what they were. There's one that still shows up in CCleaner on a regular basis but not in Firefox . As long as I keep Firefox checked, CCleaner removes it. Just wanted to share my experience for whatever it's worth, maybe it will help someone. :)

Thank you Norel and Nergal for your replies. That is appreciated.

Nergal, your first link to Topic 15307 is a bit of a mystery to me as I am not much of a techie however the second link to the Documentation is just what I was looking for. Some explanation of what CCleaner is all about. Perhaps the link to this should be a little clearer on the website. Anyway I am very grateful.

Judesman.

• Moderators

Thank you Norel and Nergal for your replies. That is appreciated.

Nergal, your first link to Topic 15307 is a bit of a mystery to me as I am not much of a techie

Judesman.

Hi Judesman.

Nergals link refers to a copy of the ini file which is embedded into CCleaner. A copy of it is available for anyone to download and check through to see exactly what CCleaner is hard wired to do.

INI File explanation:

It's a simple text file.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators

A point I didn't mention, and I think may be of interest to you, is that you can set CCleaner to save all your personal settings or customisations, to an INI file, "ccleaner.ini", which would reside in the CCleaner "Program Files" folder once created automatically when you choose that setting.

This has the advantage of being something tangible which you could copy to a safe location, to ...

1) Have a backup of your personal settings.

2) Enable you to do a clean uninstall of CCleaner if you ever needed to, and then copy your backup INI file into the new CCleaner installation.

"CCleaner\Options\Advanced\Save all settings to INI file".

Just a thought.

• 5 weeks later...

The other was with Firefox. There were some cookies in the "Cookies to Delete" column that wouldn't go away. I didn't have Firefox checked because I have it set up to handle its own cookies. But finally I checked Cookies under Firefox and that got rid of 'em.

Since I read your post, I have been looking for the firefox column to check, but can't find it. Can you or someone please tell me where to check off firefox? I too am having problems with the new version v2.36.1233 not deleting my cookies.

• Moderators

Since I read your post, I have been looking for the firefox column to check, but can't find it. Can you or someone please tell me where to check off firefox? I too am having problems with the new version v2.36.1233 not deleting my cookies.

if the application tab there should be a Mozilla listing that will clean firefox

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your reply. I am new here and was not able to find my original post. I just posted another post somewhere on the forum which asks if the cookie issue has been resolved and is it ok to now download the newest version, v 3.0. I will tag this question to alert me to any replies.

Thanks for your help.

Beta Tester