ActiveX/COM issue / Photoshop Elements.application

pacman

Whenever I run CCleaner over my XP Pro registry it comes up with a problem described as "ActiveX/COM issue / Photoshop Elements.application - {16aa0b93-79ac--43b5--86ca-ab961fbeed5f} / Registry Key HKCR\Photoshop Elements.application".

Each time I clean it up and a week later when I run CCleaner over the registry again it is there again. This has happened 3 times now.

Photoshop Elements has never fired up cleanly and always throws up warning messages to the effect that something hasn't loaded but when it finally runs it appears to run normally (I've tried reinstalling it, of course).

Anyone know what could be the problem here ?

Paddy

Whenever I run CCleaner over my XP Pro registry it comes up with a problem described as "ActiveX/COM issue / Photoshop Elements.application - {16aa0b93-79ac--43b5--86ca-ab961fbeed5f} / Registry Key HKCR\Photoshop Elements.application".

Each time I clean it up and a week later when I run CCleaner over the registry again it is there again. This has happened 3 times now.

Photoshop Elements has never fired up cleanly and always throws up warning messages to the effect that something hasn't loaded but when it finally runs it appears to run normally (I've tried reinstalling it, of course).

Anyone know what could be the problem here ?

Paddy

Hi Paddy,

Welcome to the forum!!!

Some problems keep coming back because of the software.Fact of life.

Others don't. Try this link.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=8588 [solution] Registry Issues Keep Re-appearing In CCleaner

DAF works on all pertinent 32-bit versions of Windows: 98, 98SE, Me, 2000, XP, and Server 2003. Dial-a-fix dynamically disables functions that are not applicable to your version of Windows.

The version of Windows with the most support and functionality is currently Windows XP.

I recommend to all XP users to keep a copy of Dial-a-fix on hand . It fixes loads of stuff using known MS fixes.

No need to search around MS looking for the fix.You will already have it on your PC.

Click,click and Go.Simple. :D Thanks to DJLizard. He can use your contributions.

He is in process of doing the same for Vista.

http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix

Good luck,

:) davey

Edited by davey

Thanks very much for this, Davey. I ran DAF, following the instructions to the letter without understanding what it was doing, and only one Registry entry now recurs (touch wood !).

The only one left now is

Problem: invalid default icon

Data: C:\Program files\ZoneLabs\ZoneAlarm\UpdClient.exe,-279

Registry key: HKCR\ZAMailSafe\DefaultIcon

I haven't a clue what this means. I don't know whether to just leave it or persist in finding the cause and a solution.

By the way, about donating to free software sources, I would like to do that but I refuse to click on PayPal buttons for fear that they will lead me to a bogus site that keylogs my password (as happened to an acquaintance last year, but fortunately he noticed what was going on and backed out before any damage was done). I much prefer to log in to Paypal myself and simply enter the email address of the intended recipient. I wish the creators of freeware would let me do that.

Paddy

Thanks very much for this, Davey. I ran DAF, following the instructions to the letter without understanding what it was doing, and only one Registry entry now recurs (touch wood !).

The only one left now is

Problem: invalid default icon

Data: C:\Program files\ZoneLabs\ZoneAlarm\UpdClient.exe,-279

Registry key: HKCR\ZAMailSafe\DefaultIcon

I haven't a clue what this means. I don't know whether to just leave it or persist in finding the cause and a solution.

By the way, about donating to free software sources, I would like to do that but I refuse to click on PayPal buttons for fear that they will lead me to a bogus site that keylogs my password (as happened to an acquaintance last year, but fortunately he noticed what was going on and backed out before any damage was done). I much prefer to log in to Paypal myself and simply enter the email address of the intended recipient. I wish the creators of freeware would let me do that.

Paddy

Hey that is great!!! Thanks to TwistedMetal and DJLizard.

Don't know about that icon but I bet others will.

Same thing with the PayPal situation.

Trust the sites that serve you well.That is all you can do.Or we all go nuts.

Unfortunately,there are many "free-download.scam" sites out there.The rule is "only trust the authors site or his official mirror sites".

No, ifs, ands ,or buts about it.That is where the contributions should go also.The author's site only.

:) davey