DEFRAGMENT FREEZES UP

latinadimepiece

• Moderators

What version of Windows are you using?

Exit running programs which will free up some memory before attempting to defrag.

You can optionally defrag in Safe Mode which will automatically disable startup programs.

All good questions guys. Hooah! ;)

What OS are you on?

How much RAM do you have?

When was the last time you scanned for any malware and viruses?

Does this occur on a fresh boot (cold boot, first startup after shutdown) or when exactly?

Everytime i try and run maintance wizard it locks up on defragment. I havent defrag for a few monthes. I keep getting error message low on memory too. (not sure if this has something to do with not defraging)

I would suggest you load up in Safe Mode so that less proccesses are running. Make sure it's not Safe Mode with Networking, you want just Safe Mode.

Yeah exactly. But I would try that, see if helps at all.

I used to have that problem, and solved the low memory issue with ram idle available at tweaknow.com. It will free up enough memory to get through the defrag.Also use a power defragmenter from sysinternals.com to speed the process.Looks like we both need to buy some memory.

If it isn't broke, tweak it.

I used to have that problem, and solved the low memory issue with ram idle available at tweaknow.com. It will free up enough memory to get through the defrag.Also use a power defragmenter from sysinternals.com to speed the process.Looks like we both need to buy some memory.

That or hopefully it isnt full of spyware or adware, running in the back ground utilizeing the resources.Could be a number of things if you really think about it.from how the pc has been kept up, to how it has been used online and if it has had proper protection while being used.i would suggest, just seeing how many processes are running first thing,then run a good spyware program, then scan it for viruses, then do the disk clean up..Just how much memory do you have on this pc? and the size of the processor.Anymore you just cant jump on the net a new comer to the internet, with out knowing how to protect your pc and yourself, along with knowing how to clean up your pc after you have been online. also use my regseeker program to clean up all those leftover files still in your registry, after all the add removed programs, you have done so in the past. add-remove doesnt remove them all correctly..That could be a problem also....

• 1 month later...

Hey,

If you havn't solved your problem yet or if someone else is having this problem, I reccomend downloading Diskeeper. I own Diskeeper Pro, but I bet the other version os OK 2. It works GREAT and FAST!

~PicAFlic~

Hey,

If you havn't solved your problem yet or if someone else is having this problem, I reccomend downloading Diskeeper. I own Diskeeper Pro, but I bet the other version os OK 2. It works GREAT and FAST!

~PicAFlic~

You apparently never tried PerfectDisk. It owns all. :D

Y'all are slippin away from the topic... latinadimepiece is having trouble with the EXISTING defrag program... out of memory errors also don't usually mean that you're out of memory... they usually happen when a corrupted EXE runs, or if a program has a severe memory leak... etc... let's try to get back on topic ;)

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

• Moderators
out of memory errors also don't usually mean that you're out of memory... they usually happen when a corrupted EXE runs, or if a program has a severe memory leak... etc...

indeed. If the OS in question is Win9x running ScanDisk by itself may fix some errors. It also wouldn't hurt to run System File Checker (start, run, sfc.exe) to find and replace corrupt files. I wouldn't use a third-party disk defragger until the error is resolved, I surely don't remember the two I previous used VoptXP, and Diskeeper ever checking the disk for errors before defragmenting it. If there are corrupt files and the disk is defragmented it could create more problems -- just try to avoid having to format the disk it's a royal time consuming pain in the a$$.

Everytime i try and run maintance wizard it locks up on defragment. I havent defrag for a few monthes. I keep getting error message low on memory too. (not sure if this has something to do with not defraging)

I have Win98SE and have same problem , haven't run defrag for , maybe a yr. now , Searching for answers on the internet I found out this has something to do with the File Cache....maybe wrong tech term , is too full to defrag to complete and to eliminate this problem you have to reduce the "File Cache"SP to complete the defrag , but I have not found how to do this other than to dwnld another d*** defrag program that eliminates or reduces the resources to defrag....... <_<

98 has many issues with defrag... first of all, defrag.exe has to be replaced with the version from Windows Me before it'll stop restarting... even then it'll keep restarting if there's background processes, which is why it's best, in 98, to defrag from safe mode.

Anyway, the original poster hasn't come back yet so we'll consider this case closed for now :P

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

98 has many issues with defrag... first of all, defrag.exe has to be replaced with the version from Windows Me before it'll stop restarting... even then it'll keep restarting if there's background processes, which is why it's best, in 98, to defrag from safe mode.

Also, using GEODisk will help with that issue.

• Moderators

Another way to run maintenance is to have it run as soon as the system starts by using a .reg file to launch it, that's how I used to always run maintenance on my Win98 system. The .reg file halts the loading of the desktop, and programs that start from the Startup menu, however those that load from the registry will run.

This is the .reg file that will launch the Maintenance Wizard:

REGEDIT4[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce]"Run System Maintenance on startup once"="C:\\WINDOWS\\TUNEUP.EXE"

After the command "C:\\WINDOWS\\TUNEUP.EXE" you need to hit the enter key twice, since the .reg file won't work without two null blank lines after the command.

After the command "C:\\WINDOWS\\TUNEUP.EXE" you need to hit the enter key twice, since the .reg file won't work without two null blank lines after the command.

I've never heard of this -- where'd you get that idea from?

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Anyway, the original poster hasn't come back yet so we'll consider this case closed for now :P

This is exactly what my defrag does and at one time I let it defrag for 12 HOURS CONTINUOUS and was still restarting and defragging , I finally stopped the defrag and cut my loses. I will look into O&O defrag and also what Tarun has suggested . I don't like running a defrag from the safe mode when it is supposed to run from Windows shell.................Tells me the defrag program in maintenance mode is not performing what it is supposed too. Thanks DjLizard.........

Also, using GEODisk will help with that issue.

Tarun , do you think I should dump the defrag program that was install w/Win98SE for the GEODisk , if the defrag doesn't work properly then why keep it?

Also where do I find GEODisk? Your cooperation is much appreciated.

Hindsight is 20/20. Watch Your Backside..

This is exactly what my defrag does and at one time I let it defrag for 12 HOURS CONTINUOUS and was still restarting and defragging , I finally stopped the defrag and cut my loses. I will look into O&O defrag and also what Tarun has suggested . I don't like running a defrag from the safe mode when it is supposed to run from Windows shell.................Tells me the defrag program in maintenance mode is not performing what it is supposed too. Thanks DjLizard.........

Yeah, it's not doing what it's supposed to - it is a known bug. Win98 can't defrag unless it's patched, because it has a bug. Replace defrag.exe with WinMe's defrag.exe and you're all set. http://djlizard.net/defrag.exe

But everyone knows that antivirus programs, etc, will interfere.

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

Tarun , do you think I should dump the defrag program that was install w/Win98SE for the GEODisk , if the defrag doesn't work properly then why keep it?

Also where do I find GEODisk? Your cooperation is much appreciated.

Hindsight is 20/20. Watch Your Backside..

I know that there are still people whom use Windows 9x/ME in this largely XP dominated world. There are also people who have problems running ScanDisk, Defrag, and other such utilities. I actually use this, I find it very handy as it does kill off any unwanted/unneeded items and runs what you request.

GEODisk2 is very simple and easy to use. Just check off whatever options you want to have it run and it will do so. See the attached screenshot to see all that it offers.

This is the tool to solve your ScanDisk and Defrag problems with Windows 98 and Windows ME.  It has an all new user interface to simplify the process for you.  GEODisk2 will check for processes that may be incomplete and recommend that you restart your system if any are found.  You may then use the interface to select which tasks should be performed and the options available for each one.  The first step that GEODisk2 performs is the removal of unnecessary files which you decide upon.  It will then shutdown all unrequired tasks which are running in the background before proceeding to run the Defrag and Scandisk programs.  When all of your selected tasks have been completed GEODisk2 will then optionally restart or shutdown your system.  It also has an all new 'Save Settings' feature which will allow you to continually use the same settings simply by placing a check in the 'Use Previous Settings' box.

GEODisk 2 Main Page

Download GEODisk 2

Windows ME Defrag and Scandisk utilities

I know that there are still people whom use Windows 9x/ME in this largely XP dominated world.  There are also people who have problems running ScanDisk, Defrag, and other such utilities.  I actually use this, I find it very handy as it does kill off any unwanted/unneeded items and runs what you request.

GEODisk2 is very simple and easy to use.  Just check off whatever options you want to have it run and it will do so.  See the attached screenshot to see all that it offers.

This is the tool to solve your ScanDisk and Defrag problems with Windows 98 and Windows ME.? It has an all new user interface to simplify the process for you.? GEODisk2 will check for processes that may be incomplete and recommend that you restart your system if any are found.? You may then use the interface to select which tasks should be performed and the options available for each one.? The first step that GEODisk2 performs is the removal of unnecessary files which you decide upon.? It will then shutdown all unrequired tasks which are running in the background before proceeding to run the Defrag and Scandisk programs.? When all of your selected tasks have been completed GEODisk2 will then optionally restart or shutdown your system.? It also has an all new 'Save Settings' feature which will allow you to continually use the same settings simply by placing a check in the 'Use Previous Settings' box.

GEODisk 2 Main Page

Download GEODisk 2

Windows ME Defrag and Scandisk utilities

Yep , downloaded GEODisk - defraged in 46 minutes @ 100% .What a difference closing the programs in the background is and adjusted the Swap Files somehow. Was rather easy too.....

Thanx Again Tarun , If you were billing me I would be a poor man now. :D

• Moderators
I've never heard of this -- where'd you get that idea from?

It's from my own observation over many years dealing with .reg files. Export some settings from any version of Windows and there are two null blank lines (like hitting the enter key twice) after the last text. Without the two null blank lines importing may or may not work.