UltimateDefrag

Humpty

I use Defrag 2.25.

It's small, fast and free.

Check here

Have to agree this is what I am using now. I just run it from my server to all my machines on my network all at the same time. I use the "-o2 -d 5" it checks the free space and does everything. I'm happy with it. However, I'm always looking for programs and if they do it better then their competitors. That's why I have Virtual PC to beta test everything under the sun when I have the time to do so.

I use Defrag 2.25.

A good hint. I tried it and is how you said: "small, fast and free". Thanks.

I'm trying a application that can would become a very good option in this segment. It's a Beta version and not in a stable condition yet.

And it's free!

See here: IObit SmartDefrag

I've posted it before on this forum, but Contig with the Power Defragmenter GUI is what I use for a lightweight defrag program. It's fast and defrags very well.

Contig

Power Defragmenter GUI

I found these kinda confussing, and somehow with all the tweaking i've done to my machine it stopped working all together...i tried another one called buzzsaw or something like that and it wasn't the greatest either. I've been using the built in one for the last month or so, maybe its time to give this one a go...i'll report back if i get around to doing it, but right now busy with exams (and this is all the procrastinating i can afford right now)

Its a nice program the 30 day trial give you enought time to play around with it to figure out all the options. I especially like the option of being able to arange whole blocks of files like Windows or My Documents and Program files up to the front of the HD and lesser used folder and archive files down to the slower end of the drive. I hardly ever buy software but this may be one to consider.

Its a nice program the 30 day trial give you enought time to play around with it to figure out all the options. I especially like the option of being able to arange whole blocks of files like Windows or My Documents and Program files up to the front of the HD and lesser used folder and archive files down to the slower end of the drive.

I like the idea of that too. Not enough to buy it though, and certainly not enough to PAY for the trial version as they now ask you to :o (admittedly the free trial still appears to be on other download sites)

I use System Mechanic Pro V6. It has its own built in defrag utility which also does a nice job.

I like the simply One Button does all feature. Although there are better ways of improving the efficiency of your system, I like this manner because it saves time and everything is in one place.

I simply use that...and CCleaner of course.

What then is the difference between Contig and Defrag 2.5?

I've never used Contig, but looking at the website I would say Contig only does defragmentation. Defrag v2.27 (new version just out today) does a lot more. It optimizes the harddisk (move all files to the beginning, especially directories), reclaims MFT reserved space after disk-full, and maintains a scratch area. The website doesn't say if Contig can defrag very full harddisks and very large files, but it looks like a rather primitive little utility so I doubt it. And finally, the sources of Defrag are available so you can customize it. Oh and by the way, Defrag can be used to defrag/optimize a single file or directory, just like Contig.

Defrag 2.5 is good but it creates a rather large log (400 meg +) each time.

The default for Defrag is a very small logfile. Maybe you are using the "-d 5" option that was mentioned earlier. That's full debugging mode and yes, then the logfile will be big.

• Moderators

The website doesn't say if Contig can defrag very full harddisks and very large files, but it looks like a rather primitive little utility so I doubt it. And finally, the sources of Defrag are available so you can customize it.

Contig to my knowledge is using the built-in Windows defrag util, however it is useful in instances where you sync backups as you'd only have to defrag the backup destination directory before burning it to CD-RW's or copying it to a USB device. The Contig source isn't available and since Microsoft now owns it and other Sysinternals software it's highly unlikely the source will ever be released.

I like to use Index.dat Suite to clean up all the index.dat files as they grow over time.

One of the nice features of Index.dat Suite is the ability to schedule a defrag at the next reboot and it runs before the applications are loaded B)

http://support.it-mate.co.uk/?mode=Product...=index.datsuite

If you install O & O Defrag it replaces Windows defrag application so this breaks the defrag function in Index.dat Suite :(

By the way, I did not find any difference in speed between the WinXP defrag and O & O Defrag.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

The only free defragger I've ever tried that was significantly better than the Windows one is DirMS-CL. A very thorough defrag B)

One of the nice features of Index.dat Suite is the ability to schedule a defrag at the next reboot and it runs before the applications are loaded B)

Wasn't aware of that function in Index.dat Suite, is there much difference between that and safe mode defrag?

I'm sorry if this is getting off topic. But I would like to know more about this area. And I must admit I know very little of exact defragmentation procedures. Fiust off, thank you very much for comments regarding Defrag and the -d 5 switch. That was indeed the problem. I like Defrag very much but, this might just be pure curiosity, I am wondering as well about dirms. I have looked at all three, Contig, Defrag, and Dirms (Buzzsaw). As I understand it dirms has a commsnd line version as well as a giu/service driven version. How then is the CL version different from Defrag. I must admit I do prefer dirms cl version because it is easier to see what is going on. But is it as effective. I would think the advantage to using a defragmentation program via command line is that system resources are sparred. Would htat then not be the case using dirms' service driven product(s)?

Please forgive my ignorance in this area.

Nate

I'm sorry if this is getting off topic. But I would like to know more about this area. And I must admit I know very little of exact defragmentation procedures. Fiust off, thank you very much for comments regarding Defrag and the -d 5 switch. That was indeed the problem. I like Defrag very much but, this might just be pure curiosity, I am wondering as well about dirms. I have looked at all three, Contig, Defrag, and Dirms (Buzzsaw). As I understand it dirms has a commsnd line version as well as a giu/service driven version. How then is the CL version different from Defrag. I must admit I do prefer dirms cl version because it is easier to see what is going on. But is it as effective. I would think the advantage to using a defragmentation program via command line is that system resources are sparred. Would htat then not be the case using dirms' service driven product(s)?

I can't comment on Defrag as I've not used it. Contig didn't seem to do any more than Windows own defrag so I stopped using that. I use DirMS-CL over the GUI version simply because it can be run in safe mode giving the most thorough defrag possible, the GUI version can't. (Just because it doesn't have a GUI doesn't make it less effective)

Wasn't aware of that function in Index.dat Suite, is there much difference between that and safe mode defrag?
Its basically the same as Safe Mode but when the defrag completes it continues on to the full boot :)

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

The only free defragger I've ever tried that was significantly better than the Windows one is DirMS-CL. A very thorough defrag B)

I tried the GUI version of that program and it said I had to register because some features are disabled (although I can't tell whats disabled). When I go to the website it doesn't clarify AT ALL if its free software or not. I don't know if I'm using a trial version, a feature-limited version, or a completely free version. Can you clear this up?

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

I tried the GUI version of that program and it said I had to register because some features are disabled (although I can't tell whats disabled). When I go to the website it doesn't clarify AT ALL if its free software or not. I don't know if I'm using a trial version, a feature-limited version, or a completely free version. Can you clear this up?

I never registered it, just downloaded and used it. Have you tried using it? Definitely didn't register the command line version, which I would recommend over the GUI version anyway because, as I said, you can't run the GUI version in safe mode. The ability to run a defrag in safe mode (for a more thorough defrag) is essential IMO. I think you pay for the registered version, but it works great as it is. And you're right the site is a bit vague regarding this aspect.

Apparently the CL version is completely free, but the GUI version you are "required" to register for a fee. However, from using the GUI trial, I'm not sure what features are disabled, or if you actually have to register at all even though the site and prog say you have to. Other than those quirks, it seems like a great program. Do you know what happens when you select "compact" as opposed to the normal defrag? (it takes a LONG time to run)

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

Apparently the CL version is completely free, but the GUI version you are "required" to register for a fee. However, from using the GUI trial, I'm not sure what features are disabled, or if you actually have to register at all even though the site and prog say you have to. Other than those quirks, it seems like a great program. Do you know what happens when you select "compact" as opposed to the normal defrag? (it takes a LONG time to run)

Had a quick look through their forums and apparently the unregistered version does a slightly less thorough defrag (another reason to use the CL version ;) ). The 'compact' function is explained on the following page under the "Squish out small gaps between files" heading :D:

http://www.dirms.com/home/docs/dirms1.asp

How then is the CL version different from Defrag.

I haven't tried Dirms but it sounds nice. The main differences with Defrag v2.27 seem to be that Dirms does not order the directories to the beginning of the disk, does not maintain a scratch area, does not reclaim MFT space, and does not come with sources. Also, according to their website it's not free software (the commandline version), you have to pay $10 if you want to use it legally past the free trial and to unlock all the functionality.

I would think the advantage to using a defragmentation program via command line is that system resources are sparred.

Yes, the commandline version of Defrag uses less system resources, but the main reason for using the commandline version is that you can automate it. GUI programs can usually only be controlled through the GUI (clicking with the mouse), which is useless if you want to start the program from another program, such as a script, or a webserver administrator panel.

Would htat then not be the case using dirms' service driven product(s)?

According to messages on their forum Buzzsaw uses a lot of memory.

Also, according to their website it's not free software (the commandline version), you have to pay $10 if you want to use it legally past the free trial and to unlock all the functionality.

Sorry but thats just wrong, I've been using it for over two months now, downloaded from their site, no registration, full functionality and works a treat.

The fact that you can use Dirms without paying doesn't mean Dirms is free software. If you want to use Dirms legally (including the commanline version) then you have to pay. The Dirms website is quite clear about that. Secondly, according to a posting by the Dirms programmer on the Dirms forum, if you don't register then "it doesn't defragment all the directories". It's a small thing and perhaps you haven't noticed. So I maintain what I said, Dirms is not free software, you have to pay to use it legally and to unlock all the functionality.