Windows 10, Microsoft Edge Cache Database - please make it stop!

Just installed Windows 10. Microsoft Edge stinks, so I continue using Chrome, using IE11 for a backup.

I run CCleaner regularly, usually more than once a day. Disregarding the notion of whether I ought to be running it that often, I write to complain of the message I get (see screen grab attached) that the Microsoft Edge Cache Database must be closed for CCleaner to run.

Since I'm not even using Edge, I am left to wonder why its cache database is running. I would like to disable the stupid thing, but haven't found a way, as yet. I'm perfectly comfortable making changes in group policy, the registry, etc., as may be necessary to accomplish my goal.

Your perspectives and observations will be most appreciated. 

Thanks,

DennisHallack

post-73555-0-88897400-1438290885_thumb.png

• Moderators

Check your task manager and make sure all instances of edge are not running

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hi Dennis,

Other applications (e.g. system processes) use the Edge database to store data so, if anything else is using the database when you run the clean, CCleaner will need to close it first before it is able to clean anything.

This is similar to the way that applications used IE code and storage pre-W10. The only difference is that CC could clean IE when it's open (or when anything was using it's storage), but not when Edge (or its databases) is open.

• Moderators
The burning question is after I've checked the box "Do not show me this message again", does CCleaner automatically close the Edge database, or does CCleaner automatically skip the Edge database???  Thanks!

It attempts to close it then, if it can't, skips it. The developers are currently looking into the skipping that is occurring even if edge does not show in task manager

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

I am a pro-edition owner and are experiencing the same W10 Professional Edge Database warning.

After checking do not show me this warning again, now rather than prompt me to close the database it is skipped. I can't find the toggle to enable the warning again.

Personally Microsoft Edge sucks as bad or maybe even worse as IE, of course that's not Piriforms problem but hopefully engineers can figure a way to bring it to a halt when cleaning.  

I'm not that impressed with W10. It's nothing but a data miner for Microsoft. No wonder they are giving it away for free!  B)

Regards, Ed

• Moderators

To the developers:

It looks like, from where I'm looking and in my testing that applications which use trident cause ccleaner to lock on edge clean.

My test was done by opening secunia PSI (of all things not working in Windows 10 :rolleyes:)

And attempting to clean edge section only. If I clean and PSI is open ccleaner wants to close edge. If I immediately close (manually, not via ccleaner) psi and immediately clean edge (via ccleaner) no edge locked message

• Moderators

They are working on it. Ccleaner regularly is released on a monthly basis so a new version is not expected for a week or two. Whether or not this issue will be fixed then is unknown to the community, and the developers only comment in the forum if they are in need of more data on the bug from users.

• Moderators
There is a reason MS is locking those databases. It has to do with data collecting.

Incorrect information. Those databases are locked by other programs using the trident renderer (as they have since windows 95) which is the Markup Language interpreter for Edge and before it Internet Explorer.

Mostly it's programs which in older windows call internet explorer in the background, the repeatable result I got was by using secunia PSI.As far as why those databases lock while in use, this is best practice for a web browser, and all modern browsers do this.

Internet Explorer did it wrong, it kept its cache/cookies/history as many individual files, easily identifiable of the website that they point to; even ie protected and private modes did this, be it to a less permanent location but still there. Now these files are recoded and databased just as Firefox and Chrome do. Internet Explorer in Windows 10 also uses this database (at least cache) so any application which call on IE/Trident to render lock it.Nothing to do with the trolling excuse 'microsoft os is collecting all ur datas' also all uploads to microsoft are easy to turn off, at least in 10 Pro.

Please add me to the list of those who bought CCleaner (not free edition) and would like to have Windows Edge not skipped.

I'm a little bit miffed about it. Didn't Piriform have a beta copy of Windows 10, knowing that its arrival icon has been on people's computer for months?

Your policy may be to release monthly, but if so, then you should allow people to wait a month before we pay.

Thank you for you attention to this matter.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure that in the scheme of things, the loss of a single paying customer is of no concern to Piriform. That is disappointing. I doubt that you would refund my money for a product that doesn't work. I've opened a ticket and I've posted here. There is nothing more I can do. I feel duped. The joke is on me, I reckon.

The most irritating thing is that I recommended you to friends. They are as unhappy with me as I am with you.

If you have no intention of addressing this issue, so be it. You could at least have the courtesy of telling me so.

• Moderators

You are writing on the USER forum. The developers only reply to bug reports which need more information. As you've filed a support ticket, I'm sure they are aware and desperately trying to find a way for edge to be cleaned.

I'm also sure you realize, that "a beta copy" of windows 10 was a work in progress (especially Edge) and while, yes, they obviously had a copy and were working with it to ready ccleaner, that doesn't preclude bugs from cropping up, especially as this case is to do with WINDOWS locking the files which need cleaning when in use. Often, as stated above, this is caused by programs other than edge being open while cleaning occurs.

Also you have a Pro license, this entitles you to 1 year Priorty developer Support, direct contact with the developers.

[Opinion]However it does not mean they can magically make this issue fixed just because you, and others, snap your fingers. My guess is edge cleaning may be much harder to figure out than ie (single files easily removed) or firefox/chrome (database files, like edge, but not heavily integrated into the operating system or dozens of software products). Patience is always a good idea for cleaners when a new operating system is introduced. I'd wager (though have zero inside information) that Piriform development staff is even working with Microsoft on this. [/opinion]

[Conspiracy-Theory] Based on moves by Google, the age of cleaning a browser by third party software may be on the way out[/Conspiracy-Theory]

• Moderators
I wonder if they went back to the very old way they used to deal with IE's index.dat files by deleting on reboot would cure the issue, which was something I had once suggested they bring back.

Yeah, this is what I'm assuming is going to occur, but right now I don't even think cookies can be read in edge via ccleaner, which is frustrating I agree.

My question is when running Ccleaner on my system (windows 10 64bit ) sometimes everything is cleaned and working fine but occassionaly I too get the Edge/IE must be closed to clean but when i click yes it's still skipped when I click no it says skipped. Is it ever cleaned?

Question of the day: How long does it take for Microsoft to find a solution to errors listed in the Action center?

`My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away".

I wrote in the forum where I found my problem discussed. Pardon me that upon my first post I did not know that writing in the USER forum ist verboten. Though I complained, I did so courteously. Now you, as Moderator, have responded to me with condescension and sarcasm. I suppose you've shown me my place, O High Holy One. You may now use your magical powers to ban me, but that won't be necessary, as I do not continue to go where I'm not welcomed.

Good day, sir or madam.

You are writing on the USER forum. The developers only reply to bug reports which need more information. As you've filed a support ticket, I'm sure they are aware and desperately trying to find a way for edge to be cleaned. I'm also sure you realize, that "a beta copy" of windows 10 was a work in progress (especially Edge) and while, yes, they obviously had a copy and were working with it to ready ccleaner, that doesn't preclude bugs from cropping up, especially as this case is to do with WINDOWS locking the files which need cleaning when in use. Often, as stated above, this is caused by programs other than edge being open while cleaning occurs. Also you have a Pro license, this entitles you to 1 year Priorty developer Support, direct contact with the developers. [Opinion]However it does not mean they can magically make this issue fixed just because you, and others, snap your fingers. My guess is edge cleaning may be much harder to figure out than ie (single files easily removed) or firefox/chrome (database files, like edge, but not heavily integrated into the operating system or dozens of software products). Patience is always a good idea for cleaners when a new operating system is introduced. I'd wager (though have zero inside information) that Piriform development staff is even working with Microsoft on this. [/opinion] [Conspiracy-Theory] Based on moves by Google, the age of cleaning a browser by third party software may be on the way out[/Conspiracy-Theory]

• Moderators

Uh I meant zero offence to you, and only explained the situation as it is. My emphasis on the word user seems to have the triggering factor, and thus for the use of all capital letters I wholeheartedly apologize.

It is not, of course, forbidden to post your opinion nor your frustration. Nor is it insulting for me to inform you that as a paid customer you have the developers' ear more than most here (including moderation staff); that it is a way to get an answer from them faster, and more likely, than it is by posting frustration (and using the second person "you" pronoun) in a user forum which, by design, sees little developer interaction, which was the single fact I attempted to explain in my paragraph about the user forum.

My next section was specifically separated from the fact section with opinion tags. By doing so I was stepping away from moderation duty and, like you, expressing my understanding of the bug at hand. I acted with zero condescension nor sarcasm; the latter was not even present in the conspiracy theory section, which is actually my belief but for which I have scant evidence.

Again, I meant no disrespect in any of my sections you and I just have different opinions about the ease of fixing this bug. I've no intention of banning you. I have not, nor will I even give second thought to this discussion until the next time somebody posts here.

To note I agree it's frustrating that Edge cleaning is messed up I just have respect enough for the developers to assume fixing this is at the top of their list, and if a fix has yet to be found that there's good reason for it.

[unfounded guess] It may take until Microsoft adds add-on support before third party software will work properly.[/guess]

• Moderators

that seems to be the experience with others as well.

CC doesn't always clean it, and the flip side, it doesn't always NOT clean it.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 1 month later...

I spent some spare time trying to “find something” about this and, although it may not be conclusive, here’s what I got so far.

Running a Fresh install of CC 5.11.5408, on:

1. Windows 10 64: Acer Aspire 4252 V497, AMD V140 Processor 2,30 GHz, 6 GB RAM.

2. Windows 10 32: Workstation 10 VM on an Asus N56V, Intel i7 3610 QM 2,30 GHz, 6 HB RAM.

3. Windows 10 64: same as above.

In all systems:

1. I opened a bunch of sites with Edge, then checked history. All sites there. Close.

2. I opened CC, running the default config (except “disable monitoring”) and hit Run Cleaner.

Here, the thing: on the two alerts that pop up,

- “permanently delete files” and

- “close Edge Cache DB and Internet Explorer”.

there’s a “Do not show me this message again” option.

Well, I just had it checked for the first message (that is now hidden) and, when it comes to the Edge Cache message, I just hit YES (and leave the “do not show again” unchecked).

Surprise! CC stopped showing the “Edge Skipped” alerts and now CC report shows Edge cleaning results (History, Cache, Cookies, Session etc)!

Then I opened Edge and its history was really clean. Also, clicked Analyze on CC and it showed “0 bytes to be removed”.

So, maybe the BAD GUY is just the checkbox “Do not show me this message again”?

Maybe? Well, I went back and checked the two “do not show me this message again” and… and…

the Edge skipping messages were back!

Sorcery?

What happened, in images.

Image 1: after using Edge, I openned CC and hit Analyze.

Image 2: then I hit Run Cleaner, left the “Do not show…” message unchecked and hit Yes.

Image 3: cleaning details, which shows Edge files delected. No skip warnings.

Image 4:  hit Run Cleaner again. Nothing to be cleaned.

post-74273-0-70417500-1446035725_thumb.jpg

post-74273-0-52350900-1446035727_thumb.jpg

post-74273-0-51287000-1446035730_thumb.jpg

post-74273-0-25005100-1446035733_thumb.jpg