windows ms search ?

dodgygeezer

Hello, does anyone know why cc will not clean something called "windows ms search" this has only started since downloading the recent version of cc 3.10.1525. You have to clean two to three times before it goes.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

dodgygeezer.

"I'll Think of Something""

Hello winapp2, I am using vista 32 and firefox 4, I think the logs are connected to either windows live mail or messenger, its odd that these never used to show untill using the latest cc.

These are showing as "c:\programdata\microsoft\search\data\applications\windows\mssooocb.log" and each is given a new number, can't seem to find the source of this on my computer, hope this helps.

dodgy.

Hello winapp, seem to have cured problem, removed new cc 310, and downloaded old version 309, the ms logs did not appear, tried going back to the new one (310) and they reappeared, so at the moment I am going to use 309, untill cc sort out this glitch ?? not sure why this happens, maybe someone from cc will enlighten me.

Thanks for your help, and if you can shed any light on this would be grateful.

dodgy

I consider Windows Live *anything* to be ridiculous bloat because of all the obsolete redundant installers that XP O.S. was stuck with on an upgrade.

I suggest another of its evil habits is that it likes to keep on running from start-up to shut-down,

and it locks its log files.

CC v3.10 now recognizes this bit of bloat and tries to do its job.

You can either close down *LIVE* before running CCleaner, or set an exclusion so CC will ignore it.

It may be a glitch for you, but I am sure it is a benefit for others.

Hello Alan, the term glich was born of a lack of understanding, and believing that cc was at fault, but now now you have explained, I know better.

Alan I have deleted windows live mail and now use messenger, but on the control panel I still have Windows live sign in assistant and Windows live upload tool, is it possible to delete these or are they necessary.

I would have to keep Windows live essentials as this contains messenger.

You mention that it would be better to close "live" before running cc, how do you do this ??

I should mention that I have no complaints with cc and have always advocated its use.

Thanks for your advice, hope you can help me again.

dodgy.

I am willing to help but have limited ability here.

It may be difficult or risky to abort *LIVE*, but other users should be able to advise you on this.

An alternative may be to :-

Stop any automatic start-up launch of *LIVE* by using CCleaner #> Tools => Startup and or setting relevant services from Auto to Manual;

and launch CCleaner on Startup.

Please note that I am giving my best guesses.

It is 3 or 4 years ago that I got rid of all *LIVE*,

and all I remember in detail from that time is what I had for breakfast - the same as every day since I retired ! !

I did a web search on the full path name C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows and the results were all related to the Windows Search function, not Live. I use the Windows Search function a lot on my Win7 laptop so I started CC & did an Analyze. Three files showed up under Windows MS Search:

post-37617-0-99200300-1315256358_thumb.jpg

I let it clean and did another Analyze. All files were cleaned including the 3 Windows MS Search files on the 1st running of CC:

post-37617-0-22423800-1315256568_thumb.jpg

I'm using CC v3.10 and those Windows MS Search files were cleaned (I had Windows Explorer opened to that folder and watched as those 3 files were deleted). The .log & .jrs files are part of the Windows Extensible Storage Engine (ESE) that Windows Search and other Windows applications use (like Live Mail & Live Messenger but in different folders). Each file is 1MB.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

Hello Nikki605, I did the same search as yourself, I am just curious why I have to do the clean 2 or 3 times to get them to delete, its not a real problem, but cc has always cleaned 1st time on anything else before, but not these.

Thanks for looking into to this for me, I suppose I will have to live with it,

Many Thanks dodgy.

• Moderators

Probably at the time of the intial cleaning(s) the file is locked by ms (live desktop?) search (or some other software). Have you tried unlocker (or other "who locked this file" program) to see if the file is in use?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com