Winapp2.ini additions

Winapp2.ini

• Moderators

maybe More* = Custom*

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Pls rename

[NetworkService Temp Files*]

to

[NetworkService Temporary Files*]

to make it equivalente to the others ;-)

The name matches up with it's directory path. The directory is called Temp, so the proper name of it is [NetworkService Temp Files*].

Also, I don't see a point in changing More* to something like Custom* or Enhanced*. A lot of unneeded work for nothing. I just didn't see a point in why we put () in certain names.

I am a maintainer for Winapp2. I also have a open-source group on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/opencommunity

• Moderators

Also, why do we put brackets () around certain names? I never understood that.

Sort of an explanation here:

http://grammar.yourdictionary.com/punctuation/how-to-use-brackets-in-grammar.html

-----------

It has nothing to do with "professionalism". One entry I know of that's built into CCleaner has it:

Cleaner > Windows > Windows Explorer: Run (in Start Menu)

Ok, here's a strange one (or I'm being dumb, very possible). The above brackets discussion made me spot the "Panda Cloud Antivirus (Other Logs)", and in the process of correcting the entry discovered the detect key doesn't seem to exist on my laptop, yet the entry shows up in CCleaner, which shouldn't be possible!

Am I being really stupid here???:

tvMo0JI.jpg

Ok, here's a strange one (or I'm being dumb, very possible). The above brackets discussion made me spot the "Panda Cloud Antivirus (Other Logs)", and in the process of correcting the entry discovered the detect key doesn't seem to exist on my laptop, yet the entry shows up in CCleaner, which shouldn't be possible!

Am I being really stupid here???:

tvMo0JI.jpg

Check under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node, if you have a 64-bit system.

• Moderators

The detect for Panda Cloud Antivirus, which it isn't called anymore, and it's not called Panda Free Antivirus anymore either it's now Panda Protection:

Detect=HKLM\Software\Panda Security

And the winapp2.ini entry for it is outdated, here's an update:

[Panda Protection (Other Logs)*]
LangSecRef=3024
Default=False
FileKey1=%CommonAppData%\Panda Security\Panda Devices Agent\Logs|*.*
FileKey2=%CommonAppData%\Panda Security\Panda Security Protection|*.log
FileKey3=%CommonAppData%\Panda Security\PSLogs|*.log

Edit:

...and since people don't like unnecessary warning= in the winapp2.ini file anymore and they get removed for whatever reason, here's additional info about the cleaner:

Warning=Note: These are not the virus scanning logs and are completely safe to delete.

Edited by Andavari

Check under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node, if you have a 64-bit system.

Aaaah, there it is. Learned something new :) So does CCleaner translate that to the other location, or does Windows see them as the same?

The detect for Panda Cloud Antivirus, which it isn't called anymore, and it's not called Panda Free Antivirus anymore either it's now Panda Protection:

And the winapp2.ini entry for it is outdated

I know, that's why I was correcting it ;) Saved me the trouble though :D

Can we not call it just [Panda Antivirus more] or [Panda Antivirus logs]?

You all can do what you want with it as in the naming convention, I just merely supplied the update for cleaning it.

In that case, can I propose this as the entry (just the name changed) :)

[Panda Antivirus Logs*]

LangSecRef=3024

Default=False

Can I also suggest the following are removed:

[AVG AntiVirus 2013 More*]

[AVG AntiVirus 2014*]

[AVG 2015*]

(I'm generally against removing old programs, but surely no one's using years out of date AV software?)

[AVG AntiVirus 2014*]

[AVG 2015*]

(I'm generally against removing old programs, but surely no one's using years out of date AV software?)

In that case, we should also remove SpyDefense* and Spyware Doctor, as these have been discontinued for many years (and maybe Spyware Terminator?).

In that case, we should also remove SpyDefense* and Spyware Doctor, as these have been discontinued for many years (and maybe Spyware Terminator?).

And how many people globally are still running Windows XP ??  There are a lot of people who just cannot afford to keep paying third party vendors for their annual release fee and list of trivial enhancements.  

JMO  :wacko:

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

I agree with you, obsolete program entries should be removed.

• Moderators

how would you define an obsolete entry?

obsolete does not mean unused.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Just because a program is old doesn't merit removing it in my opinion, and it seems to be a reoccurring theme as it's been mentioned before numerous times to remove something that's old. If you don't use a particular program ignore it, someone else may actually need the cleaner for it.

When it comes to removing cleaners for old versions of antivirus be careful, some vendors don't support an older OS anymore like XP with a new version of the antivirus however the old version of the antivirus may still be fed current signature files due to the vendor knowing it's still needed - example; ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus+Firewall for XP (years old but still functional), and some others.

• Moderators

And how many people globally are still running Windows XP ??  There are a lot of people who just cannot afford to keep paying third party vendors for their annual release fee and list of trivial enhancements.  

JMO  :wacko:

Just saw an article the other day on Softpedia about the XP user base, the percentage is low but there's still allot of us. I in particular don't wish to upgrade my OS because of the custom made for me audio software I paid thousands of dollars for many years ago since I have a Metal band - I already know the software won't work correctly on a newer Windows OS, and don't feel like paying thousands more for it be made compatible.

That and my usage of Win10 when I have to regrettably use it has revealed something to me; the types of tasks I do on a computer are a complete pain on Win10 being that it takes at least 50% longer to accomplish - and no it's not an issue of "you don't know how to use the OS" because I do.

Edited by Andavari
typos

If we really want to help many end users (and potential users) of Winapp2.ini, we should come up with a user friendly, easy-to-install/use tool that:

1.  Downloads the latest winapp2.ini

2.  Merges in the user's custom.ini

3.  Organizes the entries in alphabetical order.

4.  Runs a TRIM to match the user's system (no user interaction required)

5.  Stores the newly trimmed winapp2.ini in the CCleaner folder

---- all steps performed automatically....from start to finish.

Such a tool would most likely significantly increase the usage of winapp2.ini, particularly if it worked on XP, 7/8/10.  :)  IF I had the expertize to do it, I would, but I don't.

That would negate any need to worry about "obsolete" entries in winapp2.ini. 

Again, JMO

Windows 10 x64 Pro on ASUS Maximus VIII Extreme motherboard, i7-6700k CPU,H220 X2 Liquid Cooler, 64 gbyte RipJaws DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 970 Pro NVMe M.2 500 gbyte SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 512 gbyte SSD, EVGA RTX 3060 Titan graphics card (Home Built System);  Windows 11x64 Pro on 512 gigabyte Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Laptop/tablet and Dell XPS 8940 PC.  ASUS RT-AC88U router, 14 tbyte WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS Server, 200 Mbps cable Internet, MS Edge Chromium, MS Office 2021 (Local), Casper 11, DisplayFusion (3 Flat Panel Displays per system):   Latest Bitdefender Internet Security, Quicken, Weather Watcher Live, ThumbsPlus 10, Sticky Password 8, WD Smartware, CyberLink PowerDVD23, MSI AfterBurner, Rainmeter, 8GadgetPack, and many more.

When it comes to removing cleaners for old versions of antivirus be careful, some vendors don't support an older OS anymore like XP with a new version of the antivirus however the old version of the antivirus may still be fed current signature files due to the vendor knowing it's still needed - example; ZoneAlarm Free Antivirus+Firewall for XP (years old but still functional), and some others.

Ah, I never thought of that, just assumed any AVG 2013/14/15 users would have been updated to the most recent version and definitions no longer being available for them.

As for removing no longer supported software, that is a separate issue and as I state every time it comes up, I am completely against. Many of us use older, or no longer supported, software because it's the best at what it does, or cos no viable alternative exists. Completely different to software like AV programs which I assumed (perhaps wrongly) become dysfunctional.

In that case, can I propose this as the entry (just the name changed) :)

[Panda Antivirus Logs*]

LangSecRef=3024

Default=False

[AVG AntiVirus 2014*]

[AVG 2015*]

After the discussion about older systems, maybe we should keep the old detect for older systems? Does panda still update their old anti-virus? The name change looks good though.

After the discussion about older systems, maybe we should keep the old detect for older systems? Does panda still update their old anti-virus? The name change looks good though.

Panda Cloud and Panda AV are the same program, it was merely a name change (I was still calling it Panda Cloud for about a year after the name change, hadn't even noticed!). Not sure at what point they cut off XP definitions though (if at all)

EDIT: Oh and the detect key hasn't changed anyway :rolleyes: (brain's on a go slow today)

• Moderators

Panda Cloud Antivirus > Panda Free Antivirus > now renamed to Panda Protection in version 18 and it's still fully compatible with WinXP. Although v18.0 has some issues on some systems which isn't just a WinXP only problem when looking at their support forums which is one of the reasons I suppose why they won't have v17.0.1 auto-update to v18.0. If someone wants v18.0 they have to manually download and install it, probably have to uninstall the older version first though.

Panda Protection v18.0 has an issue with not being able to complete a Full Scan - which is not cool after spending 75 minutes for it to just stop at 95%, I had to downgrade back to v17.0.1 for that reason.