CCleaner Advance Wipe Free never finishes!

I will admit I know 3 things about computers; how to turn them on, how to turn them off and how to search the net. I got the CCleaner software from download.com because i only have 548.MB left on my C: Drive and I thought the Advance wipe thing would help me. Well I did all the other suggested cleans that automatically default once you turn the "thing" on. After all of that finished I ran the cleaner again, but this time I only checked the Advanced "wipe free space" I started this at 10pm May 13. It is now 10pm May 14th, and it has been stuck at 96% the WHOLE ENTIRE TIME!! What and why is the cleaner doing this? Please help. I don't know what to do. :unsure:

• Moderators

Wipe free space will not help your lack of space at all. After you ran the Cleaner option how much space did you have on the disk?

I would chop your current run of CC, if you haven't already. Over 24 hours is too much. You may need to reboot to do this.

Look on your c drive for fairly large files with random names and no extension (I believe) created during the time you ran CC wipe free space. They are fillers created by CC and should be deleted.

Check how much free space you have. Can you archive any data, half a gig is nothing really. Run the Cleaner part of CC again, and check how much free space etc.

I would then run a defrag, the Windows offering is fine. Check free space, and post back here. You may need a second defrag.

I would not be in a hurry to run wipe free space at all. It is intended to overwrite old deleted data, and won't give you any more free space. Do not touch the Registry clean section of CC unless you're very sure of what you're doing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have also had the problem of Wipe Free Space not finishing after begin given 12h to run. But, I understand that wipe free space only writes random data over memory that has already been freed-up by deleting files. In other words, wipe free space prevents more advanced software from recovering deleted files.

I think Augeas has missed the point, which is that the feature does not terminate properly: Wipe Free Space gets stuck at ~97%, and one must press 'Cancel' to end it. After which, I am not sure that Wipe Free Space has done its job properly and what it has left lying around.

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with Wipe Free space.

We haven't been able to reproduce the problem in house. if we can't reproduce it is very difficult to come up with a solution.

Would you be able to post more details about your system and version of CCleaner.

Are you able to reproduce this problem every time you run Wipe free space?

Thank you

I too am experiencing the problem with Wipe Free Space stuck at 98% and never finishing.

It happens with CCleaner v2.20.920 as well as its predecessor. My system details follow:

Component Brand Version

Motherboard ASRock 775VM800 775LGA F.4.3

CPU Intel Prescott P4 640

Memory Hyundai DDR PC3200 @200MHz 2 x 1GB

BIOS American Megatrends P1.50

SMBIOS 2.3

Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 6800XT

Graphics Driver NVIDIA 6.14.10.9371

Video Card Leadtek Winfast PVR TV2000XP

Video Driver Leadtek Winfast 5.13.1.2713

Codec DVX 7

Codec DirectX 9.0c 6.0.2600.0