DEFRAGMENT FREEZES UP

latinadimepiece

• 2 weeks later...

Well , For what it's worth , If you have a Microsoft Critical Update ( KB891711 ) in your start up and you use GEODisk ....Remove the Update or disable it in startup ...

The Update restarts on reboot and GEODisk reboots to kill running processes so you can defrag.The Update keeps loading on reboot.....

Man... that's so funny that you mention that... I fricking HATE KB891711. It directly causes blue screens on some Win98SE boxes...

It's a service, that's the reason GEODisk hates it... man, KB891711 is the devil.

Click here if CCleaner Issues are re-appearing

DjLizard.net

DjLizard.net wiki

Dial-a-fix

Dial-a-fix tips

DjLizard.net software support forum

Do you live in Bradenton, Sarasota, Tampa, or St. Petersburg, Florida? Visit Digital Doctors where I work :)

Man... that's so funny that you mention that... I fricking HATE KB891711.  It directly causes blue screens on some Win98SE boxes...

It's a service, that's the reason GEODisk hates it... man, KB891711 is the devil.

I actually got a Fatal OE and a Fatal OD Error:

user.exe

Kernel32.dll

I removed microsoft auto updates a long time ago , I guess it was lurking for awhile....Seems to cause a lotta SH**... <_<

• 1 month later...
Everytime i try and run maintance wizard it locks up on defragment. I havent defrag for a few monthes. I keep getting error message low on memory too. (not sure if this has something to do with not defraging)

If you are getting this error on windows 98 and it says not enough memory when trying to run a defrag it is actually a known ms issue. It has to do with having the wrong cluster sizes usually caused by disk overlay programs or another disk partitioning software. Hope this helps all that have been having this problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;229154

If you are getting this error on windows 98 and it says not enough memory when trying to run a defrag it is actually a known ms issue. It has to do with having the wrong cluster sizes usually caused by disk overlay programs or another disk partitioning software. Hope this helps all that have been having this problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;229154

Nice job reviving a DEAD THREAD where the problem has been SOLVED. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
Yeah, it's not doing what it's supposed to - it is a known bug.  Win98 can't defrag unless it's patched, because it has a bug.  Replace defrag.exe with WinMe's defrag.exe and you're all set.  http://djlizard.net/defrag.exe

But everyone knows that antivirus programs, etc, will interfere.

There is a way to use Win98's own defrag succesfully without constantly restarting. It's like this:

1. Open the defrag program but do not start the defrag process yet...

2. Remove the network cable from your computer.

3. Press ctrl-alt-del and end all processes except Explorer and the Defrag program. And I mean everything, virus scanners, firewalls, even Systray!

4. Wait a while until everyhing settles down. (Some "program cannot be closed" boxes are prone to pop up...)

5. Run defrag.

6. Press ctrl-alt-del again and choose reboot.

7. And remember to put the network cable back in place!

Now that's easy and fun.