2 days and still Deleting Windows.old Files and 32 passes with CC Cleaner

fryerlawrence

I am going through a cleanup and I had chosen to delete the Windows.old files.

I heard that they would be deleted in 30 days anyway through other literature that I had read.  But I bit the bullet because everything looked okay with Windows 10 and decided to include the Windows.old files within CC Cleaners routine.

It has been 2 days and it is still at 42%.  :blink:   It is moving still... but still moving albeit verrrrry slow...lol.

I realize that 32 passes takes longer... how much longer should I expect to wait for this thing to get done.  Because I should probably restart my computer at some point...lol.

Thanks,

-fryer

• Moderators

Multiple passes are useless, and it's faster and better to let the windows cleanup utility to clean the windows old folder as I think win10 may have locked some files in it.

Also the windows old folder is about 2-4 GB in size. 35 passes is the equivalent of writing 70-140GB of data; it seems, to me that one can safely assume this would both take a long time and cause some pretty extreme wear on your harddrive making it likely that your drive will die much sooner than it would have before you began the removal.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Sorry to be the bad news bear

I feel that it's best to expand a bit about window locking some of those files in the windows.old folder.

First of all it is a theory based on a small sample size (total universe of a single PC), so I may well be wrong.

After my update I was 100% sure that, though i liked and had no issues with the older OS, I would not be rolling back to windows 8.1. While I don't know if the windows.old folder is related to the rollback in any way, I knew I had a huge folder sitting there that I didn't need. I attempted to manually delete it and it hung on a "cannot remove file in use" warning. I then found the disc cleanup tool (note: it's been moved from where it was in previous windows) enabled Administrator cleanup and checked off the enable "old windows versions" mark (not verbatim). It took about ten-to-twenty-five minutes.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hope this link assists regarding "windows old" folder, how to delete, why is it there and: But, don’t wait too long — Windows will automatically delete the Windows.old folder to free up space after a month. (from the howtogeek article)

http://www.howtogeek.com/223821/what-is-the-windows.old-folder-and-how-do-you-delete-it/

By the way my "Windows old" folder (Win 8.1) is a massive 17.8Gig and Win 10 is only 13.1Gig 

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"