Enable Shell Extensions Greyed Out

Fejinwales

I know this was discussed in 2011 but I have tried to sort it out with no success.

I run Windows 7 64bit. Love Defraggler and found it to work perfectly for me but I would love the ability to defrag a folder or move a large file to the end of the drive specifically with a right-click from Explorer.

First I have tried to get it to work on both 32 and 64bit versions by doing the following:-
1.   I went into the software and disabled save settings to .ini file (I set that up when I first installed it)
2.   Deleted the .ini file from the Defraggler directory
3.   Started the programme both with a right-click 'Run As Administrator' and from the Start Menu where I then set 'Run As Administrator' as a launch option in the shortcut Properties>Advanced setting.

In all cases the option to Enable Shell Extension is greyed out.
The only options I have checked in the Defraggler Advanced tab are now are the Cache Analyses and Use Custom Fragmentation (for which I have not changed default options).

I've tried checking them all and the Enable Shell Extensions just does not become available.

I tried the only thing I didn't do before and that was to remove it and reinstall it.

During the reinstall I left the 'Defraggler in Explorer' (or similar) option checked - then the right-click menu items were there - but I still had no option to move large files to the end of the drive, and this is the primary reason why I wanted it to work and wanted to use this software.

UPDATE: Seems like I read that this software would do that not too long ago, I am unable to find the page now but I am pretty sure that it cannot send large files to the end of a drive from within Explorer - this is a pity as I liked the software otherwise. I make regular Acronis images and would have loved this feature rather than having to run Defraggler to do a disk defrag every time I make a new image.

Perhaps in the future this will be an included option along with sending entire folders to the end of the drive...I will keep checking and install again if it does.

• Moderators

what version are you using?

and what build, normal, slim or portable?

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

1.   I went into the software and disabled save settings to .ini file (I set that up when I first installed it)

That indicates to me the source of all your problems.

Portable software is NOT supposed to modify Windows Context Menus, shell extensions, etc.

I guess that when INSTALLED the registry was ready to provide shell extensions,

and when you "enabled save settings to .ini file" the registry may have noted that shell extensions etc will not be active,

and when you "disabled save settings to .ini file" the relevant "shell extensions" flag was not enabled.

Perhaps it will work for you if you perform a total clean UN-install and check that the registry no longer refers to Defraggler,

and then install properly without any further messing around with the "save settings to .ini file" flag etc.

That indicates to me the source of all your problems.

Portable software is NOT supposed to modify Windows Context Menus, shell extensions, etc

I guess that when INSTALLED the registry was ready to provide shell extensions,

and when you "enabled save settings to .ini file" the registry may have noted that shell extensions etc will not be active,

and when you "disabled save settings to .ini file" the relevant "shell extensions" flag was not enabled.

Perhaps it will work for you if you perform a total clean UN-install and check that the registry no longer refers to Defraggler,

and then install properly without any further messing around with the "save settings to .ini file" flag etc.

I didn't use a portable version, I used the standard version.

I put on the original post that I did do a complete un-install (cleaned registry and so forth) and reinstall as a final option.

"I tried the only thing I didn't do before and that was to remove it and reinstall it.

During the reinstall I left the 'Defraggler in Explorer' (or similar) option checked - then the right-click menu items were there - but I still had no option to move large files to the end of the drive, and this is the primary reason why I wanted it to work and wanted to use this software."

It worked perfectly and as it should both times, with checking the 'integrate into explorer' and also leaving it unchecked during install. The only thing that this option does is to allow Defraggler to add right-click functionality if to integrate is checked. Saving settings to an ini file does disable this feature - even if selected to when installed, but that is not the issue.

When I say I wanted to move large files to the end of the drive I did not mean during a defrag - that worked fine. I wanted to be able to move large files to the end of the drive by right clicking on them in Explorer and selecting that Defraggler move them. I read somewhere that with Defraggler one could right-click on a large file and move it to the end of the drive from within Explorer - obviously this was not true.

I would like to add that I did install the software properly (with no messing around), as there is no other way to do it as the software will not let an installer mess around.

I didn't use a portable version, I used the standard version.

I put on the original post that I did do a complete un-install (cleaned registry and so forth) and reinstall as a final option.

You CHANGED THE SOFTWARE FROM INSTALLED TO PORTABLE when you chose to "save settings to ini",

and your choice may have modified Defragglers registry keys and values.

I only use the portable versions of Piriform products so have little personal recent experience of the installed versions,

but I doubt that uninstalling the installed software purged the registry of ALL the defraggler RELATED registry keys and values,

because if that was done a normal uninstall followed by a fresh install would destroy any previous user choices,

AND there would NOT be the registry flag that is supposed to allow you a few months of NOT being pestered with a Google Chrome installation offer.

I think it all boils down to whether what you did to clean the registry was sufficient.

By the way you never referred to cleaning the registry in your previous posts.

I have just looked at the documentation help file and found :-

"During the installation process, you are given the option to add an extension to Windows Explorer 'Add Defraggler menus to Windows Explorer'."

1. Check Fragmentation - this will determine how fragmented the file or folder is on your hard drive.
    2. Defragment - this feature will defrag the selected file or folder.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/defraggler/using-defraggler/defraggler-shell-extension

Consequently,

IF INSTALLATION IS CORRECT,

then you the only defraggler actions for which you can use Explorer Right Click are to designate an item to be checked or defragged - but not placed.

Please note that you DO NOT NEED SHELL EXTENSIONS to select an item check or defrag or even to place at the end of the drive.

Run Defraggler and ANALYZE and click on the "File List" TAB

Then click on either the "FileName" or the "Path" headings to sort the list and then you can scroll through the list to find the File or the Folder you wish to move.

To move a Folder :-

Select a File that is within that folder and Right click and and select "Highlight Folder" and choose the folder level,

then Right click and choose "Move Highlighted to the end of the drive".

To move a File :-

Select the File and Right click and choose "Move Highlighted to the end of the drive"

Your first post concluded with

Perhaps in the future this will be an included option along with sending entire folders to the end of the drive...I will keep checking and install again if it does.

Obviously Defraggler has the capability to move folders and their contents to the end of the drive,

but Piriform has never seen the need to add this with the existing Windows Explorer context menu options of

Check Fragmentation

Defragment

If you want "Move Item" added to Windows Explorer context menu options then start a fresh topic in the Defraggler Suggestions forum.

Meanwhile, if your Windows Explorer context menu options does NOT include "Check Fragmentation"  and "Defragment"

then either your registry or your Windows Operating System is corrupt and needs fixing.

Obviously Defraggler has the capability to move folders and their contents to the end of the drive,

but Piriform has never seen the need to add this with the existing Windows Explorer context menu options of

Check Fragmentation

Defragment

Thanks for the reply. I know I had installed it correctly on both occasions but on the first one had deliberately left out the integrate with explorer as I didn't think I'd ever need it. Then I bought Acronis and eventually discovered I had to uninstall and reinstall and select the option. However, once, when reading about Defraggler I came across something that said that I could move large files to the end of the drive from Explorer with a right-click. This was why I posted here. However I have since been unable to find anything relating to what I once read and even Defraggler pages do not mention a right-click move large files to end of drive option, This was why I updated the original post.

I have doe a defrag and added .tib files to be moved to the end of the drive but it would have been great had I been able to do this on a per file bases as I make images pretty regularly.

The remainder of my posts after the initial one were aimed at finding out why I couldn't use a right-click option - that is until I found out it was not actually a feature - when I updated the post for the last time (red text).

I love the software but I really would like the right click option and do not want to do a full defrag every time I make a new image, perhaps one day it will be included in the software along with the ability to send entire folders to the end of the drive as well - I would gladly pay for that.

I thank all the posters who helped with their advice here and for their patience.

You are welcome.

Piriform developers consider users desires that are posted in the suggestions forum

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showforum=21

It should be very simple to add your wish to the existing Windows Explorer context menu options of "Check Fragmentation"  and "Defragment"

Regards

Alan