SmartPC fix

edallen

My computer occasionally starts up from sleep with:  Windows experienced an unexpected shutdown."   Checking the net, I found that SmartPC fix was recommended to take care of this problem.   However, I cannot find any information other than negative, so should I leave it alone?   Have already downloaded it for a one month price of $4.99.    Ran it once, it found a lot of problems in the registry, etc. and went ahead and fixed them.    But I am now having second thoughts about it.   Another board told me that Piriform CCleaner (which I have) does the same thing and is safer.....     Any advice (or scolding?).

• Moderators

edallen SmartPC fix is not something I would let near my pc and you may have problems removing it.

I would strongly suggest that you visit one of the Malware removal forums listed here (under item 10) if you are unable to remove it.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showannouncement=15&f=4

Your original issue may be caused by something such as outdated driver or other things, but first you need to get that Smart pc fix off your pc.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Got it all cleaned off the computer, clean uninstall.    The only problem I have now is with the company which keeps begging me to give them a chance and will not confirm that I have, in fact, unsubscribed and will not be billed any more....   Just have to wait and see, but I believe the credit card company will go along with me.  Saving all the e-mails..

After uninstalling SmartPC, running CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Windows Defender and cleaning up the Firefox site, things seem to be working a lot better.   Malwarebytes found 8 dangerous things, BTW, and I quarantined them.

As to this statement: 

"The only problem I have now is with the company which keeps begging me to give them a chance and will not confirm that I have, in fact, unsubscribed and will not be billed any more"

Do they nag you by way of email, or is there something popping up on your computer? 

If the latter, you may have some leftover junk, and the nice folks at the malware removal forums could help get rid of it.  

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

They nagged me by e-mail    The billing company - Click Flex or something like that - finally sent me an e-mail to tell me my subscription was cancelled and I would not be billed any more.   I have, of course, saved it.

Still trying to correct a few things that seem to have occurred after the one run with that soft, but nothing serious so I am not getting too excited. 

Thanks for listening and advising me.

I keep seeing some questionable possibly useless or rogue cleaners on T.V., yet I'm as of yet (as in never) to see any legit security products shown on T.V.

Yep.  They seem to prey on folks who are too busy to do the geek work required to understand what their computer is up to. 

Seems to make them lots of money, TV ads are expensive.

I would prefer to make a contribution to a reputable malware repair site. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I would prefer to make a contribution to a reputable malware repair site. 

Makes me think users should band together with money to produce a 30 seconds Malwarebytes Anti-Malware T.V. advertisement, for something that actually works.