The Firefox/Mozilla Thread

nodles

• Moderators

Upgrading to 10.01 was my first FF upgrade in quite some time, so I'm not au fait with these rapid-fire updates.

Doesn't fill me with confidence at all, although you probably won't be surprised to hear that the difference between 3.6.17 and 10.01 is quite considerable.

:lol:

Upgrading to 10.01 was my first FF upgrade in quite some time, so I'm not au fait with these rapid-fire updates.

Doesn't fill me with confidence at all, although you probably won't be surprised to hear that the difference between 3.6.17 and 10.01 is quite considerable.

:lol:

Considering that 3.6.26 is out, I am really surprised that you clung to 3.6.17 for so long.

I know some software doesn't really have to be updated, but seeing that Mozilla team work on JavaScript performance, performance, bug fixes, etc, I normally try to keep pretty up-to-date. Of course, my needs may be different from yours, but I calculated that older versions (due to the longer loading times) may slow me down from several days, to a month or so in wait times during the year.

I download a lot & help people a lot, so the extra wait while opening/searching/using websites is considerable to me.

_____

Example: If you have a 1 second wait on older versions for 1 tab, then that = 600 + seconds on 600 tabs opened... 600 seconds = 10 Min of wait.

That's just for a single day. Imagine 200 days a year like that? That's 200 X 10 = 2,000 min, or 2,000 / 60 min = 33.3 hours. Or 1.38 days.

I am pretty sure that older versions were more like at least 2 if not sometimes 3 to 5 seconds wait. 5 X 1.38 = 6.9 days.

There you go, a week right there! And that is only for 200 days out of the year. And I don't have time to wait! haha

• Moderators

Actually, I think it might have been 3.6.26 that I upgraded.

I'd already upgraded when I made that post and couldn't remember which version I upgraded from, so I guessed, but 3.6.26 sounds more familiar.

I'm afraid the old memory cells are still jumping ship. :)

I very rarely use FF, usually only when I need a reliable download manager in way of a tried and trusted FF extension.

Still an Opera lover.

Example: If you have a 1 second wait on older versions for 1 tab, then that = 600 + seconds on 600 tabs opened... 600 seconds = 10 Min of wait.

If you can knock 10% from your daily 10 minutes waiting time by using an updated Firefox,

you are still back to 10 minutes if the daily Firefox update takes 1 minute to download and install :(

If you can knock 10% from your daily 10 minutes waiting time by using an updated Firefox,

you are still back to 10 minutes if the daily Firefox update takes 1 minute to download and install :(

Not really.

If updates took 1 min, that's still 9 min you save. They only take 15 sec on my machine, so 9:45 I save. And that's if I ONLY have 600 tabs open, instead of around 1,500 or more.

Daily updates ARE a daily negative on your time, but if you were going to always have them on anyway, your not really losing time from your updated versions that are faster, since you would be applying the updates no matter what. The time you saved would simply be an added benefit.

Thankfully, I never use daily updates, since monthly updates are the full release. So I manually do the monthly updates.

:)

So I don't lose time...

Actually, I think it might have been 3.6.26 that I upgraded.

I very rarely use FF, usually only when I need a reliable download manager in way of a tried and trusted FF extension.

Still an Opera lover.

Opera is nice... In some ways.

I couldn't use it, however, because of the following reasons:

* I routinely top more than 500 + open tabs in a session, & Opera 11 still has razor thin tabs when you go over about 50 tabs... Firefox doesn't.

* I cannot find Ad Blocker for Opera.

* Opera includes nearly everything, which is confusing for someone like me. Seems a bit unnecessary.

Your needs may be different than mine, but while Opera does have some cool features, another one I hated is that I sometimes run across websites that will not, for whatever reason, properly render in Opera like they do in Firefox.

If Opera would fix some of those, I might be happy to use it more... Alas... Well, Firefox isn't so bad! :P

Well I think you guys should start talking about 3.6.27 :lol:

I have to see if v10 would even run on an older system where I can get 3.6.xx running. Honestly, what do you put on an older system that still works and only has 128 or 256megs of ram? A system which was able to do word and browse before now can't even browse.

25qd6wl.jpg

Honestly, what do you put on an older system that still works and only has 128 or 256megs of ram? A system which was able to do word and browse before now can't even browse.

Try one of these:

The World -> http://www.theworld.cn/twen/?op=en

Browzar -> http://www.browzar.com/download/

Although based on IE, I assume these are lighter & open faster on an older system

Smaller still, try: -> http://www.softpedia...oad-131503.html & grab either IE or MO (FF) version

• Moderators

Honestly, what do you put on an older system that still works and only has 128 or 256megs of ram?

http://www.vordweb.co.uk/standards/download_lynx.htm ;)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

a shotgun & a deep hole?

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I hear 12 can pilot a starcrusier into the sun and not get hurt

• Moderators

I said Firefox won't be hurt; you and the starcrusier will still be consumed by the sun and the resulting storm caused by the cruiser's impact into the sun will wipe out 3/5s of the human population. :D