I Need Your Help - Had To Uninstall CCleaner Per BD Tech Support Request. WHAT!

montecarlo1987

Hello. I have a question. I have found something tonight to my total amazement that CCleaner and my BitDefender (BD) security software interfere with each other!!! I have had them co-existing for a long time now. I could not believe it!!! CCleaner considers most of the BD files as invalid or orphan and cleans them out. I found this out from BD Tech Support. I have been crashing my BD security a lot lately, and now I know why. I notice I have ran CCleaner before a system reboot/restart, and at the next system reboot/restart, BD crashes. When the BD Tech Rep told me to uninstall CCleaner, I was shocked. I thought CCleaner was passive and had absolutely nothing to do with security software, but learned it has a registry cleaner and harmful to BD.

What I need from you:

I would like to somehow keep CCleaner. I have some questions: 1. How can I set up CCleaner so it does not delete BD registry files (Yet still cleans other registry files)? 2. What name brand security software out there where CCleaner does not delete security software registry files? ...or to make it easier, what brand name security software out there where CCleaner does indeed delete software registry files (may be a smaller list)? Please reply ASAP. Thank you!

Some suggestions:

1. Find out where BD stores its files on your disk and use the CC ""Exclude"" feature (""Option"", ""Exclude"") to exclude those folders/files from wiping.

2. When CC suggests that there're are one or more obsolete registry entries then that does not automatically mean that you must remove them. If you're uncertain whether removing a registry entry will crash the BD software then don't remove it.

3. Don't tick all the boxes or any boxes in the registry section.

4. Untick all the boxes in the ""Registry"" section and then by ticking one box at a time, try to find out which registry entries can be removed without crashing BD. Simply a matter of trial and error.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

Simple solution to exclude everything BD related:

1. Exclude the BD program files folder.
  2. Exclude the BD application data folder(s), there may be more than one of them for instance in the All Users Profile folder and in your User Profile folder.
  3. Exclude the BD registry data, usually will be in:
    'HKCU\Software' and/or 'HKLM\Software'
  4. To make sure the above has excluded everything in the Cleaner section use Analyze, if it finds and lists any BD files/folders in your temp folder right click those in the list and exclude them. Now run a Registry cleaner scan, if it finds and lists any BD registry files right click those in the list and exclude them.
  5. Now let's save all your CCleaner settings: Go into CCleaner's advanced options by clicking 'Options->Advanced' and tick 'Save all settings to INI file'. That INI file with all your CCleaner settings is stored in the CCleaner program folder as ccleaner.ini, remember to periodically make a backup copy of it and you'll never have to re-input the exclusions again.

Thanks to Willy2 & Andavari!!! :D

I appreciate your replies. Thank you!!! Now I have a combination of instructions to get me around this issue.

But I am curious, are there any security software out there where CCleaner will not delete their files? ...or are any security software files possible targets for CCleaner to delete? (Examples: AVG/Grisoft, Awil/Avast, Avira, Trend Micro, ZoneAlarn/Checkpoint Technologies, Symantec/Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky, ESET, Webroot, F-Secure, G Data, Panda Security, Lavasoft, Microsoft Security Essentials, CA Technologies, PC Tools, F-Prot, Sunbelt Software, Comodo, Vipre, Malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, Spybot - Search & Destroy... ...I think I have most of them so you can pick which ones are safe with CCleaner.)

Please reply.

Thanks!!!

But I am curious, are there any security software out there where CCleaner will not delete their files?

Um, yes, all of them. Potentially. Or none of them, potentially. CCleaner doesn't target Bit Defender specifically but there is obviously some quirk of how and where BD stores its files and/or how it stores them on your system that is making CCleaner think they're fit to remove. And this won't be specific to CCleaner, I'd put money on any other reg cleaner removing the exact same entries, and possibly more. This happens sometimes and its why you should always exercise extreme caution (and create backups) when using any reg cleaner, even CCleaner's. It's safer than most but no reg cleaner is infallible.