JavaRa

fredvries

JavaRa is a simple tool that does a simple job: it removes old and redundant versions of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). And it removes some log files and temporary files that JRE leaves behind.

Java software in general and the Java JRE in particular allow you to run applications called ?applets? that are written in the Java programming language. You probably have Java JRE installed on your computer because these applets allow you to play online games, chat with people around the world, calculate your mortgage interest, view images in 3D, as well as many others.

As with all software, the JRE is updated on a regular basis. Updates are necessary to add new functionalities, to remove programming bugs or to repair possible vulnerabilities.

Usually older versions of programs are removed during the install of new versions but Sun (the owner of Java) has somehow decided not to do this. The result is that a number of different versions of the JRE may exist on your computer. These older versions potentially pose a threat to your sense of security due to the possible vulnerabilities or security holes that may exist in them.

Java advises users to always have the latest version of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). The latest version is always the recommended version because it contains updates and improvements to previous versions of the JRE. The latest available version is always compatible with the older versions.

But they also tell you that you can keep older versions of the JRE installed, in case you have an applet or an application that still depends upon a previous version. But this warning is quite useless as all applets and applications should be kept updated to ensure a maximum level of safety and security.

Downloadable here.

[03apr08] JavaRa updated to version 1.03

- [Added] New button 'Clean Useless Files'

- [Added] New button 'About'

- [Added] Cleaning of Java .ERR files

- [Added] Feature in JavaRa that tells which JRE folders were deleted

• 2 weeks later...

[14apr08] JavaRa updates to version 1.04.

Changes:

- [Added] Options window

- [Added] Donate button

- [Added] Option to remove jusched.exe startup entry

- [Added] Removal of JRE files in the Temp folder

- [Added] Removal of JRE versions older than 1.6.0

- [Added] Alternate way to update the Java JRE

- [Added] New Update JRE Dialog

- [Added] Option to update JavaRa

- [Added] Command line switch: -runsilent

- [Fixed] Problems with removing certain JRE folders

- [Added] Removal of JRE registry values and keys

This sounds like a very useful program, but is it for sure safe to use? I would hate to use it and end up with a corrupt Java installation. Just making sure before I use it. :)

EDIT: I just tried it and am very impressed! It removed two old version of Java and quite a few junk files. I wonder why Java leaves old versions when it updates...

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

This sounds like a very useful program, but is it for sure safe to use? I would hate to use it and end up with a corrupt Java installation. Just making sure before I use it. :)

EDIT: I just tried it and am very impressed! It removed two old version of Java and quite a few junk files. I wonder why Java leaves old versions when it updates...

Hello TeeJay ,

Somehow I missed this thread until now.

I was just thanking some of the members and moderators in another thread yesterday.

There was a link to a very valuable tool for all users ,especially users with a lot of different software.

I went ahead and downloaded the Personal version.I then cleaned up a lot stuff I didn't know I had.

I am going to link you to YoKenny's reply in that thread.Use his link to get this necessary and valuable FREE tool.

Use this tool and you will realize the value of JavaRa also.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?s=&amp...ost&p=99532

:) davey

P.S. Thanks to YoKenny and fredvries .

• Moderators

I've used it and have some "recommendations."

• Recommendations
  • Make the program a complete stand alone for portability with the readme documentation build into it.
  • Have the updater invisibly read an online version text document, and only download a new version if it's actually needed.
  • Create a report "removed.txt" of exactly what files and folders were removed by JavaRa.
  • Get rid of the UPX compression to negate any false positives from antivirus programs.

*Make the program a complete stand alone for portability with the readme documentation build into it.

* Have the updater invisibly read an online version text document, and only download a new version if it's actually needed.

* Create a report "removed.txt" of exactly what files and folders were removed by JavaRa.

That would be nice.

* Get rid of the UPX compression to negate any false positives from antivirus programs.

avast! did not complain about it.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." - Albert Einstein

IE7Pro user

• Moderators
avast! did not complain about it.

For now anyways. UPX compressed files are always getting tagged as malware by some antivirus software. Plus the decompressed size only means about a 1kb larger zip file to download so effectively it saves no space whatsoever - as is the case with most UPX compressed files.

• 2 weeks later...

[28apr08] JavaRa updated to version 1.05

Changes:

- [Added] Option to remove JavaRa logfile

- [updated] Additional Tasks Dialog

- [Added] New registry keys for JavaRa to detect

- [Added] More accurate description of what JavaRa does after it is finished searching for JRE files

- [Fixed] Bug where program would not terminate if a user attempted to terminate it while in a YESNO MessageBox

- [Added] Instructions for Updating Java from Sun's Website

- [Added] New About Dialog

- [Added] Manual inside of program

- [Added] Code forcing only one instance of the program can be opened at a time

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

[19jun08] JavaRa updated to version 1.07.

Changes:

[Added] --removeSDM command line option

[Added] -p and --purgefiles. You can now delete useless JRE logfiles silently

[Added] --runsilent and -r as other -runsilent options

[Added] Option to remove the Sun Download Manager

[Added] Option to open JavaRa logfile from Additional Tasks dialog

[Added] Timestamps in JavaRa logfile

[Changed] License. Now licensed under the GNU GPL v2. See http://www.gnu.org/licenses/old-licenses/gpl-2.0.html

• Moderators

Use the latest version, which is the rolling update link in Post#1.

Very easy to use. Just a simple double click exe file.

1: Search for updates. If there is one, save it to a place on your hard drive. (Where you can find it again)

2: Remove Older Versions.

3: Install the new version.

[29jun08] JavaRa updated to version 1.08.

Changes:

[Added] Removal of extra registry entries

[Added] Link to lunarsoft.net support forums

[updated] Source Code Package

[29jun08] JavaRa updated to version 1.08.

Changes:

[Added] Removal of extra registry entries

[Added] Link to lunarsoft.net support forums

[updated] Source Code Package

Thanks Fred,

New JavaRa removed an old Java version that had not been removed before.

The JavaRa removal process was started on Mon Jun 30 05:19:44 2008

Found and removed: Software\JavaSoft\Java2D\1.6.0_05

:) davey

Isn't the latest version of Java version 6 update 6? Well according to THIS page, I have version 6 update 5 installed. However, when I use JavaRa to check for updates, it tells me I have the latest version installed. Obviously I don't, so why doesn't JavaRa correctly report that and give me an option to upgrade?

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png