No Scheduled tasks?

swatbat2142

I have 5 computers that have the free version of CCLeaner loaded on them. Now I use a backup program to back up data on each of them. One strange thing though, I recently added schedules to the back up program on each computer. When I go to in CCleaner, Tools, Startup and then the Scheduled Tasks, 4 of my computers show the scheduled backups in this list. ONLY 1 computer does not show the backup items on it.

How do I add that information to the list in CCleaner?

Okay, got this fixed

BEWARE - CCLEANER scheduled task area has a bug. If you delete an entry in CCleaner, it causes this problem. I removed the problem item and now ALL the tasks appear and run accordingly. This is a CCLeaner issue because if you delete a scheduled task, YOU NEED TO DELETE EVERYTHING and not some of it. Leaving these pieces is what causes Windows 7 Tasks Scheduler to give you an error. HH

CLOSED

• 1 year later...

Okay, got this fixed

BEWARE - CCLEANER scheduled task area has a bug. If you delete an entry in CCleaner, it causes this problem. I removed the problem item and now ALL the tasks appear and run accordingly. This is a CCLeaner issue because if you delete a scheduled task, YOU NEED TO DELETE EVERYTHING and not some of it. Leaving these pieces is what causes Windows 7 Tasks Scheduler to give you an error. HH

CLOSED

I've encountered this problem, too, well over a year ago, but it still persists in the current version of CCleaner (4.16.4763).  I worked with a support person at Piriform for several weeks, but we could not solve the problem.  Neither they nor I could ever figure out what might be causing it, despite multiple updates and reinstalls, etc.  No Scheduled Tasks appear in that tab, despite my having some tasks scheduled.

It would have been great if swatbat2142 had given more details, above.  For instance, "if you delete an entry in CCleaner" means what?  An entry in the Scheduled Tasks?  An entry anywhere in any startup tab?  I show no tasks in the Scheduled Tasks, so how could I delete one?  And what means "YOU NEED TO DELETE EVERYTHING and not some of it"?  How would one delete "some" of a Scheduled Task (if any were shown, which they are not)?  (Maybe this would be obvious to me, if CCleaner would show some tasks, but none show, so I'm puzzled!)  I'd love to hear about what, specifically, swatbat2142 did to make the missing task(s) reappear in CCleaner in the one errant computer.  If any one else has experienced this problem, I'd love to hear about it, as well as the solution (if any) that was found!

Thanks for any help!

aboutblank

August 13, 2014

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if it's the same guy but if you google the name swatbat2142 posted in another forum  (AVS forum) in June this year.

Perhaps join and pm him?

That's a good suggestion, thank you.

Since I last posted my question, above, I had an interesting experience:  I was testing AOMEI Backupper, and created a backup task which I wanted to schedule.  Backupper uses the Windows 7 Task Scheduler by default, so I set up a regular backup scheduled to run every day.  Then by chance I checked CCleaner's Tools - Startup section, and noted that in the Scheduled Tasks tab, not only did AOMEI's Backupper task show up, but all of my other missing tasks showed up, too!  

Unfortunately, I decided to uninstall AOMEI Backupper, and when I did, it deleted its task, and I returned to the same situation as before, none of my other tasks showed up!  I played with cleaning up my registry with CCleaner, and modifying the other Task Scheduler entries a bit (using Windows Task Scheduler), as well as adding a couple of 'display message' entries to the Task Scheduler, to see if I could coax CCleaner to recognize my Scheduled Tasks and display them again.  No dice, nothing worked, and I'm stuck with the same situation as before - none of my scheduled tasks show up in the Scheduled Tasks tab in CCleaner (this time, v. 4.17.4808) !   :(

aboutblank

August 29, 2014

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last post, I had the opportunity to explore this problem further, and think I've found the root cause:

Briefly, I believe the cause of the problem is mal-formed sceduled tasks.  It appears to me that each task must have the machine name as well as the user name in the task.  E.g., if my computer's name is ''MYPC'', and my user name is ''Ablank'', then each task must have a UserID of ''MYPC\Ablank'', not just ''Ablank''.   If even one task lacks the machine name, none of the tasks show up in CCleaner, and not all show up in Task Scheduler.  The problem then becomes how to find the missing tasks and how to correct them, if you can't see them!

On a Windows 7 (32 bit) PC, the tasks can be found in C:\Windows\Tasks (job files) and C:\Windows\System32\Tasks (task files).  The 'task files' are in XML format, but there is no file extension on those files in the ...\System32\Tasks folder.  They can be copied to a work folder, however, edited with a text editor to correct the <UserId>.....<UserId> line, and renamed to .xml files.  For example, using the names in the paragraph above, the UserID line should appear as follows:

<UserId>MYPC\Ablank</UserId>

All relevant files then have to be deleted from both 'Tasks' folders, and then re-imported into Task Scheduler from the modified XML files.  But complications arise if the task names still exist in the registry, preventing successful importing of the XML files!  It then becomes necessary to search for and delete all registry keys with the tasks' names using the Registry Editor, Regedit.exe.

The keys where most of these old task names can be found in the registry are as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks

(Find the task name in the right-hand panel, and delete the corresponding key in the left-hand panel.  For example, CCleaner's task "CCleanerSkipUAC" can be found twice in this section.)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree

(Find the task name as a key in the left hand panel, and delete it; don't delete 'Microsoft', of course!  For example, CCleaner's task "CCleanerSkipUAC" can be found once in this section.)

Once the XML files and cleaned up with the proper UserID and the task names deleted from the registry, one should be able to successfully import the tasks into Task Scheduler.  (Click on 'Task Scheduler Library' in the left pane of Task Scheduler, then right click in the center pane, and select "Import Task" from the context menu, and navigate to the .xml file of the proper name, that you modified in the step above.  Once the import begins, the Properties of the new task will appear in a window.  Verify that in the "General" tab, the UserID you used above appears just below the label "When running the task, use the following user account:", both the {Machine Name}\{User Name}, e.g., "MYPC\Ablank"  (no quotes).  (Note the use of the backslash, "\", separating the two names.)  If there is a problem with the import, it will probably be due to a duplicate name you missed somewhere in the registry, or to a .job file that exists with that name in C:\Windows\Tasks.  Find the offending files and/or registry entries, and delete them, as described above, then try to import the .xml file into Task Scheduler again.  Eventually, it (hopefully) will import successfully.

Once imported in this manner, all tasks should appear correctly in both CCleaner and in Task Scheduler.  I've done this with success on two Windows 7 systems, so I'm fairly confident that I've solved the problem, though I might be wrong on some relevant details, as the Task Scheduler process is a complex one!

aboutblank

September 10, 2014