Desperately seeking Recuva advice

realtog77

Hi all,

I deleted the contents of my desktop by mistake, all my work for the last few years!!

I ran a deep scan on Recuva using a new hard drive. I then clicked on folder structure/clicked recovery and it saved/and recovered all my file and folders. 

I was over joyed!

But by the time the recovery/restoring had ended all my folders changed into folders with code names.

None of my material is there anymore?

I can still see al l my images and files in the recuva program..

What happened? Can anyone help? Can I still get all my files....

Thank you!!

• Moderators

Did you run your recovery in Normal or Advanced mode? IF Advanced, did you check Options/Actions/Restore Folder Structure? What are these 'code names'?

A deep scan will not usually be able to find file names as they are held in the Master File Table, so will replace them with something such as [00256].jpg. A deep scan will not find folders, as they are held in the MFT. We really need more, and more accurate, details about whet you are doing.

If I deleted my desktop I'd have to take my pc to the skip.

What exactly were the "contents of your desktop" ?

If you make sensible use of the computer then the desktop only holds LINKS to :-

Files ;

Folders holding Files ;

Drives holding Folders holding Files ;

I am accustomed to deleting links from my Windows 7 desktop without losing the years of work to which they once pointed.

Moving on, assuming other than sensible use, and that years of work were held on the desktop :-

How did you "delete" ?

Permanently ?

or the alternative mode that puts them in the recycle bin ?

I honestly think that if a large amount of work was held on the desktop it is a total waste of time to do a Deep Scan,

because the M.F.T. should hold all the information for Recuva to restore your work after only a normal scan,

and just possibly you should use Advanced / options / actions / - and tick the box "scan for non-deleted files ...".

So try again with Normal Scan and Advanced / options / actions / - and tick the box "scan for non-deleted files ..." :)

Perhaps all you achieved with the Deep Scan were glimpses of remnants of earlier versions of your years of work,

and that can only end in tears of frustration. :(