For Gamers Or Anyone Who Can Help

Wolkenlaufer

• Moderators

This is the first time that I am reading this that Nvidia needs Java to function or at least perform some sort of function.

Old Nvidia card here and also old drivers running it because newer drivers on it are very buggy for the old card I have - so no Java was needed back then.

Hmmmm

See here Hav0c

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/gpureader-faq.html#faq4

Click to open each of the links on that page.

So one only needs Java if you install the GPU Reader which collects information about your system to recommend the drivers needed.

Find this strange, who gets a card and not know what card they are getting or currently installed and what drivers to use?  :blink: :blink:

Old Nvidia card here and also old drivers running it because newer drivers on it are very buggy for the old card I have - so no Java was needed back then.

What card do you have ?

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!

I missed the "edit" window, sorry.

For Winapp2.ini: I meant to add that.....

1. Gaming on this computer is pretty much all I do with it, except writing my blog and checking e-mail. Don't do spreads, not a lot of pictures or music, etc. and I have 311GB free of 465. I have WoW and SWTOR as the only 2 games I play on it.

2. Being a tad mentally challenged, I tend to forget what things I am doing/have done unless I write them down (don't use a printer, and all "important" stuff is done on my wife's machine). However, should the problem or a similar one arise in the future, it's possible I may forget, by that time, that I did write it down. Failing that, I may remember that I did, but forget where it is. All part of the fun that is Alzheimer's Dementia. :lol:

3. I read your post about this app, but haven't done anything with it yet. I don't know if it will improve my gaming, since you mentioned there is some lag in the app, so hopefully you'll have time to respond at some time and tell me what you think.

4. No lag, no jumpy action on my toon and just a smooth running game are what I am after, so I'm thinking that after tweaking and following the advice given me here, I probably will still need a new card, which is on the agenda to be bought.

Finally, I know I say "thank you" a lot, but it means a lot to me that you and all the others in the thread are taking an interest.

All the best!

Bill

Your best bet would definitely be disabling Windows Aero for the most immediate effect (in my opinion) since it does consume a decent amount of VRAM which can then be utilized for your games instead!

Hello mister Bill

This is the first time that I am reading this that Nvidia needs Java to function or at least perform some sort of function.

Andavari, mta, Winapp2 did this ever happened to one of you where you needed to install Java for Nvidia ?

I have never heard of non-native GPU drivers or control software, but I have only ever owned one nvidia card (a 9600GT, actually) and that was a pretty long time ago (2008)

Just got back from trying to disable Aero.

I followed the instructions on the page, but when it came time to choose, I scrolled down and tried to click on Windows Basic, I couldn't click on anything to choose it.

Then I tried to run troubleshoot, but as always an "error" kept it from loading. I have NEVER been able to get troubleshoot or Windows Fix-It. to work for me.

At the very top are my "themes", but those aren't clickable either.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks!

My Dementia Blog is at www.wheretobud.blogspot.com

Hmmmm

So one only needs Java if you install the GPU Reader which collects information about your system to recommend the drivers needed.

Find this strange, who gets a card and not know what card they are getting or currently installed and what drivers to use?  :blink: :blink:

Well, me. :)  I have it written down, but I let the auto-select look for it, because it's supposed to find the driver update as well. 

But yes, I get that  "Download Java GPU Reader" prompt and I choose it, because if I don't, on my machine, it looks for a while and then tells me it isn't able to work.

What card do you have ?

Just got back from trying to disable Aero.

I followed the instructions on the page, but when it came time to choose, I scrolled down and tried to click on Windows Basic, I couldn't click on anything to choose it.

Then I tried to run troubleshoot, but as always an "error" kept it from loading. I have NEVER been able to get troubleshoot or Windows Fix-It. to work for me.

At the very top are my "themes", but those aren't clickable either.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks!

Hi Bill,

try running an admin command prompt (search for CMD and either hit SHIFT+CONTROL+ENTER or right click on it and run as administrator) and try running

sfc /scannow

it may take a little while to complete, but it may be a simple way of fixing your themes problem. (If it reports that system files were repaired, restart the computer and try changing your theme once again)

I'm not sure about Windows 7, but you may also be able to run the command

net stop themes

to revert to a more Windows Classic theme (this is different from Aero Basic but achieves a similar effect)

Well, me. :)  I have it written down, but I let the auto-select look for it, because it's supposed to find the driver update as well. 

But yes, I get that  "Download Java GPU Reader" prompt and I choose it, because if I don't, on my machine, it looks for a while and then tells me it isn't able to work.

What card do you have ?

You have written it down.... that is better then most people that I know that only knows they have a card and it woks that's it.

I got a GTX 760 (standard)

I get my NVidia drivers here, maybe that is why I never needed to get that Java Applet

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!

Winapp2.ini : After doing everything you recommended, I was able to  get back into changing from aero, but not to that first Windows Basic, which shows in black and white and does not give me the option to select it.

Instead what I can do is use any of the others Windows Classic themes (High Contrast 1, 2, etc) and currently it is using #2.

In order to get better performance, I am giving up having wallpaper and screensavers, is that correct?

Also, using command sfc/ scannow did repair several corrupt files, so this is good, yes? :)

So this is where we are. I haven't checked gaming performance yet but will do so soon. My wife and I volunteer at the polls so tomorrow will be a full day for me until about 9pm GA time when I will have plenty of time to check things out a little more .

Thank you, my friend and friends for all you are doing to help me!

BIll

Two programs that help to improve overall system performance (2 favourite programs of mine).

- PcWinTech's Cleanmem. It reduces memory usage every 15 minutes and therefore reduces the need for Windows to access the harddisk. And Disk I/O is relatively slow.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/cleanmem.html

- Run Tweaking's Simple System Tweaker. It will make a number of socalled "Tweaks" to speed up your system. This includes disabling AERO.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/tweaking_com_simple_system_tweaker_(formerly_simple_performance_boost).html

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators
Does using Winapp2 prohibit me from having wallpaper?

Wait, what?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Does using Winapp2 prohibit me from having wallpaper?

There used to be an entry in winapp2.ini that removed wallpapers (unwanted side effect) but it's been removed from the file for well over a year at this point. Using Windows Classic themes shouldn't prevent you from having a wallpaper either AFAIK

You can disable aero while gaming by rightclicking the icon you use to open the game and go to properies and click compatibility and check the disable compisition box.

I would also get a new power supply, something like a corsair 650 would do it as power supplies are known to cause problems.

Also make sure your cpu cooler is clean and under the fan look for lint/fur blockage, same for the video card, overheating can do this too.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/easily-disable-vistas-aero-before-running-an-application-such-as-a-video-game/

Examples of dirty cpu coolers

http://www.theregister.co.uk/Print/2010/11/26/ventblockers_2/