Spybot Search and Destroy makes a come back

hazelnut

• Moderators

A beta version of the new release has been released for public testing.

Could be interesting

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/news/2011-05-11.html

They seem to have a very active malware removal section

http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

It may indeed be interesting. Since it's an all-in-one anti-malware suite I'm wondering how good the antivirus in it will be, too early to know if it will be on par with other free antivirus tools though.

I took a dislike to the spybot team many years ago after donating ?50 and not even getting a template written thank you or any thing.

No fate but what we make

If anyone tries it out can you please post what you think of it.

Just had a quick glance and first impressions looks promising. I scanned a couple of infected files that Two online scanner's detected 13 malware traces. Spybot detected none. That was the end to my looking around the scanning side of things.

Took more of a look at "Auto Runs" section and though this is more like it. How ever it brings nothing new to the table or any thing that i would not expect to find in a basic start up manager. Deleting old values provided no function via a context menu instead having to be done from the toolbar. Just did not feel quite right.

The process manager UI thread becomes frozen when navigating between processes. Gathering information about selected processes should not freeze the UI. I was in the middle of cleaning but still this should not be happening.

Uninstalling seems to be failing. Was given the option to undo manually the changes SB had made. If i do want to change what SB has done this should be auto at a simple yes. But then again they both refuse to even open for me manually doing said tasks so forced to continue on with out changing these

0560dad0c83f9931e1d10b3f9a48aa15.png

Has now for the second time been frozen uninstalling

17f63926b5a666d66bfd78ad2361d2eb.png

Summery nothing new or special and definitely made me wish i had never of installed.

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

So in other words the beta release is indeed very BETA. I know of the "do you want to undo" parts of Spybot-S&D since they've pretty much been there since day one.

The one thing I've never truly liked about it is the automatic immunization into Firefox because it makes manually adding in a blocked site take forever, one would think to block sites and such they'd just make a plugin/extension for browsers instead -or- just maintain their own AdBlock Plus list, etc.

• Moderators

Don't forget ident this is the first beta of a new version. This is what beta testing is all about, and things such as you mention are to be expected at this early stage.

There is a thread ongoing in their forums about bugs and behaviour found in the beta. That's how developers are able to improve things... when folk report the bugs.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Oh of course. I completely understand it's a beta and take full responsibility by doing this.

Was more of a general warning to other users wanting to participate in the beta testing stages.

No fate but what we make

Gave 'er a try, put 'er in "advanced user mode" and found myself lost at every single turn, a lot of clicking around just to immunize the system plus numerous dialogue boxes, and don't even get me STARTED on the uninstall routine!! And I'd been waiting yearssss for an updated Spybot too :(

Windows 7 - Office 2010 - Internet Explorer 9

All better than the versions preceding them :D