• McAfee
    • Nod32
    • Norton
    • Panda
    • TrendMicro
    • Microsoft Security Essentials
    • Other
    • None

See here about some non-English text in the English installation showing up in v2.0. It's not a deal breaker though.

I don't see that issue, that is presumably when scanning?

I presume you've been trying it out too, how have you found it? I'm personally loving the simplicity of it, as close to "set it and forget it" that I've ever had with an AV.

I used Cloud AV a while ago right around when it was first released, but then I switched back to Avast since I didn't know how well Cloud AV compared with Avast in terms of protection. Another AV that's been interesting me as of late is VIPRE. Has anyone used that before, and if so, how does it compare to Avast and such? I've heard it's extremely light.

• Moderators

I don't see that issue, that is presumably when scanning?

I presume you've been trying it out too, how have you found it?

That's after doing a custom scan of a folder. Like I stated though it isn't a deal breaker as the previous version had some Spanish show up in the logs too, after awhile you just know what it says. Then again I don't know if Panda separates British English and American/U.S. English during installation like some software does.

Another AV that's been interesting me as of late is VIPRE. Has anyone used that before, and if so, how does it compare to Avast and such? I've heard it's extremely light.

I gave Ad-Aware Free Antivirus+ a thorough thrashing last Friday and Saturday, and it includes the GFI VIPRE engine. It has a Quick Scan feature that's useless, doesn't check enough areas.

The problem with it on Windows XP at least it's hopelessly slow when performing a Full Scan, when it's scanning archives (7z, RAR, etc.,) it comes to a drastic crawl. But wait there's more it gets even slower when it starts scanning media files (MP3, OGG, etc.,) and my hard disks are full of hundreds of albums so you can see it was going nowhere fast.

It was so frustratingly slow in fact I think it's buggy or something, and after it got stuck in the My Music folder for at least 4 hours I had had enough because all other antivirus' churn through the My Music folder in no time at all. I used my Macrium Reflect backup image to fully get rid of it.

I might try it again in another 1 to 2 years if they improve the scanning issues. I know most antivirus' are slow on Windows XP so perhaps the scanning problems don't exist on Windows Vista/7 but I don't have those oses to test it on.

Languy99 tested the Pro version and it didn't do good at all

Edit:

As for a "light" antivirus that doesn't cause slowdowns I really liked RoboScan Internet Security Free. I liked the firewall it has which passed GRC ShieldsUp! but failed a handful of stuff on PC Flank. The only thing I didn't like about it was it has too many features. I can't comment on it's protection though as I don't know, and the scan speeds were acceptable.

• Moderators

I used Cloud AV a while ago right around when it was first released, but then I switched back to Avast since I didn't know how well Cloud AV compared with Avast in terms of protection. Another AV that's been interesting me as of late is VIPRE. Has anyone used that before, and if so, how does it compare to Avast and such? I've heard it's extremely light.

I have used vipre av (not vipre internet security) on the xp machine I am on for almost a year now. I started using it because I was given a key.

It is quite light on the machine, I manually update definitions 2 or 3 times a day (I don't allow any av to auto update in case it interferes with any software I am testing at the time).

The quick scan is what it says.. quick. It works no problem with Sandboxie and MBAM free. It offers to scan external drives, flash drives etc, when you plug them in.

The only issue can sometimes be program updates, sometimes I had to get them myself as they didn't seem to come via the internal updater.

All in all I have used a lot worse than vipre Icedrake.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

That's after doing a custom scan of a folder. Like I stated though it isn't a deal breaker as the previous version had some Spanish show up in the logs too, after awhile you just know what it says. Then again I don't know if Panda separates British English and American/U.S. English during installation like some software does.

Ah that could explain it, custom scan of a folder here is in perfect English here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Don't think you'll find anyone here who will :huh:

I will. :lol: But I test more AV's than I should and can very quickly find bugs and faults in programs.

The only gripes about MSE that I have are RAM usage, and scanning speed. Sure it's nice that Microsoft offers their little antivirus gem on Windows XP but really it's so slow on that OS whereas AVG Free, Avast Free, Avira Free are vastly faster. However at least MSE like I've stated before is the only true freeware antivirus; it doesn't show any ad's, doesn't put in any 3rd party junk, and doesn't try to sell you anything.

I use 4.x I keep it up to date when possible. It's scan speeds aren't bad. The only issue I have is the amount of stuff that needs scanning, don't really do it often for data, since I know it's not gonna be compromised by viruses. Any virus that gets on it usually caught immediately.

• Moderators

Are we talking about MSE 2.x or the newest 4.x versions? I think the 4.x has improved scanning speeds.

All versions. Of course to get any scanning improvements you'd probably need at least Windows Vista. On XP I've noticed zero improvements in scanning speeds.

• Moderators

Definately not, but at least they offer it on XP. I only wonder in 2014 if they'll drop MSE from supporting XP, would upset allot of people. There are much less resource intensive antivirus' around in particular AVG Free and Avast Free which get along very good on old XP machines with limited RAM.

• Moderators

Microsoft can give recommendations to upgrade which are all valid of course but money doesn't grow on trees in my neck of the woods and never will to keep up with constant new OSes they're releasing. It would however be nice to move up to Windows 7 but I wouldn't even bother installing it on this old Dell desktop which is just too old and slow in my opinion. So it would definately have to be a brand new PC purchase in my case to warrant the change, and I'd also want a new widescreen monitor.

• Moderators

No sir it isn't resource intensive at all. The PC Magazine thorough test gave AVG 2012 Free favorable ratings, better than most paid products! Depends upon your system configuration of course! If you're still on Windows XP like I am I'd highly recommend having at the bare minimum at least 1GB RAM to use it.

For the absolute hay of it over one month ago on July 9th I decided to test it, and it's still installed. It scans fast (faster than Avast and Avira on my system and they're both considered fast themselves), doesn't hog the system resources - logs and backups are however another thing entirely however CCleaner can keep it tidy.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Fred, Avira is ok, but it has an annoying advertisement that must be disabled via Global Policy Editor.

Thing is disabling it also means it breaks something in the process:

You won't be able to get detected virus information from within the program itself. Not a huge issue since someone could search for the detection using a search engine.

Well at least it was that way the last time I had it as an installed antivirus about 1.5 years ago, however it's way too annoying to put up with that ad.