Move file/folder to Start of drive

HappyDefraggler

I play a game that takes forever to load, because no matter what defrag program I use, it just defrags the files in place, around the same sectors as the files are originally. I need the defrag program to put the game at the start of the drive, where it's fastest. So I told Defraggler to move the files from the first sectors to the end of the drive, this worked. But then when I tried, I couldn't for the life of me find a "Move to start of drive" so, I have no idea how to get this folder to the start of the drive. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

@jfrog

This suggestion isn't really an option as putting something at the start of a Partition is not the same as putting it at the start of a Drive.

The partition and file tables and the other system stuff may go at the start of the drive but your files will not.

@happydefraggler

This suggestion comes up fairly regularly, at least for the 2 years I've been coming here and it hasn't seen the light of day yet - but - who knows, maybe one day.

All you can hope for is that enough people request an option and that the Dev Team deem it worthy and the suggestion is physically possible, then it may be implemented.

Since DF can't do the feature you are chasing, I will suggest another defrag program called OO Defrag (hopefully that's allowed :) ).  I last used it something like 10 years ago and, then, it had that option you are after.  In fact it had a very customisable feature of putting whatever you wanted wherever you wanted.

Know I can't remember why I stopped using it or if the feature still exists, so I'll leave the rest up to you.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

@jfrog

This suggestion isn't really an option as putting something at the start of a Partition is not the same as putting it at the start of a Drive.

The partition and file tables and the other system stuff may go at the start of the drive but your files will not.

Since DF can't do the feature you are chasing, I will suggest another defrag program called xxxxx (hopefully that's allowed :) ).

You have misunderstood what is meant by Partition and Drive and the purpose of ALL DEFRAGGERS - EVEN YOUR RECOMMENDATION.

Defraggers do NOT defrag Disks,

They only defrag Partitions which are regions of a Disk that MAY have assigned a Drive Letter.

There is no real difference between a the start of a simple Drive and a simple Partition.

"Put a file at the start of a Drive" is a convenient and normally well understood phrase to mean

"Put a file at the start of a the region of a Disk to which is assigned a drive letter"

• Moderators

@happydefraggler,

I take it your setup, like 99.8% of all PC users, is that any partition you have is assigned a drive letter.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Well I think that my solution could work as well as OoDefrag solution, though it is perhaps longer with a risk of deleting something if not beeing organised enough

About this subject I wonder though if it is possible to clone a system partition by copying the files of the first system to another partition and after that, it could boot by restoring a bootable sector with something like Partition Wizard.