Defraggler suggestions

StuartUK

I installed the latest version (v1.05) today (december 6th) and tried the "Move large files to end of disk" feature but when looking at the drivemap, it seemed it didn't work at all ! Are there specific pre-conditions under which this option will work ? I have specified filetypes and ticked a number of boxes but all to no avail !

More over in this version one is supposed to be able to choose some other language besides English but that wasn't possible either.

Did anyone else have similar experiences ?

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I don't know if this has already been said...

When you defragment some files, it says "Defragmenting...(X %)"

The problem is, the % are on total number of files and not of fragments. Sometimes it stays 1-2 minutes without changing the number because there's a file with many fragments, and then it goes lightning fast for the others files.

Why not have the % being calculated from total number of fragments and not of files ?

Piriform French translator

I installed the latest version (v1.05) today (december 6th) and tried the "Move large files to end of disk" feature but when looking at the drivemap, it seemed it didn't work at all ! Are there specific pre-conditions under which this option will work ? I have specified filetypes and ticked a number of boxes but all to no avail !

More over in this version one is supposed to be able to choose some other language besides English but that wasn't possible either.

Did anyone else have similar experiences ?

I don't have many large files so I changed the MB value to something smaller. Some files were moved to the end(inside) of the drive. I haven't tried changing any default extensions or such yet.

What language did you specify at installation ? Did you ask for other than English ?

Further discussion should not be here. Please post in the Defraggler Discussion forum and select New topic in the upper right of the forum window. :P

Best wishes, :) davey

It would be great, if you release Defraggler (and of course CClenaer) as Windows-Installer-Package (MSI). With an MSI it's much more easier to deploy it to all my clients in my Active Directory (about 60 clients).

Hmm, maybe an autorun feature as a backround process?

Maybe it would take up too much resources, but that idea is left out in the open.

I saw a defragger out there called ScanDisk I think and they made Windows Defrag itself. Windows just bought it off them to use.

Is it possible for the autorun feature to defrag files that become fragmented instantaneously? I mean if it detects a fragmented file it will automatically defrag it.

• 3 weeks later...

How about a Defrag then shutdown option?

It's something IOBit SmartDefrag has and I would love to see it in Defraggler. IOBit does it by having a checkbox in the main defrag status window, defraggler could do it in a context menu or whatever.

The main reason I would like to see this feature is I like to start a defrag when i go to bed because it normally takes awhile what with my massive downloading and I like to have my system shutoff to save power and extend it's life and whatever good reason one can come up with.

Please consider it and thanks!

Hmm, maybe an autorun feature as a backround process?

Maybe it would take up too much resources, but that idea is left out in the open.

I saw a defragger out there called ScanDisk I think and they made Windows Defrag itself. Windows just bought it off them to use.

Is it possible for the autorun feature to defrag files that become fragmented instantaneously? I mean if it detects a fragmented file it will automatically defrag it.

Actually no Windows Defrag uses very old and recycled code from Executive software's Diskeeper, and I mean OLD.

The Scan Disk you are thinking of is that error checking deal they had on Windows 95 and onward until NT stuff like Win2000 and XP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ScanDisk

Hello, I love Your Work & Tool :)

Two "cosmetically" (?) wishes:

*) Autosize (witdh) Option for the Columns

*) Select/Check more/all Drives Option, eg. when I use "Analyze Drive"

Thank You! ... and have a fine NY! B)

at least once a day : to think different ;o)

I like the idea of being able to see the percentage complete on the taskbar rather then having to open it up to check...

Furthermore I feel being as how this is a closed source project using open source code leaves a legal gap in terms of the GPL.

I noticed your accepting logs in your spyware hell forum. Just wondering if this has a specific purpose like possibly a new project...

By the way I love your programs i thing they are a great contribution to the net. So keep up the good work and Happy New Year.

An Exclude feature, like in CCleaner. Because Defraggler cannot defrag 3 files on my computer, and each time it defragments the disk it takes time to try to defragment these...

Piriform French translator

My Suggestion: Defrag when PC is idle.

This will be the most usefull feature ever.

You could add a section under schedule tab that says run when pc has been idle for [Drop-down] minutes.

Then you can forget you installer defraggler. Now your defrags would go quietly in the background.

I had posted the following in another topic, but probably no one saw them. Anyway, here are some suggestions and bug reports:

Shouldn't these strings be translated by default based on the language used?

05122008141330ge6.png

If the user enters a custom name then that should be used. But by default it should be translated in the chosen language.

Also, maybe the default minimum size for the large files should be lowered, something like 100MB may be better, but I don't know about it for sure. :)

EDIT: The columns of categories and file types cannot be resized. And maybe you should add by default .ts files in movie files category.

• 2 weeks later...

I would really like the option to mark certain files as being ignored by Defraggler unless I manually go in to defrag them. This would be very helpful for things like Virtual PC .vhd files, as if Defraggler is running on the host and you are running a guest OS in Virtual PC, you can have problems if the .vhd gets defraged. This is clearly my fault, but that option would add a level of protection that I would appreciate. I had to reinstall a guest once because of this... Whoops...

Setting the percentage in the form title would be really helpful as well when you have Defraggler minimized. This would really be appreciated.

I really do love this program though. It is phenomenal.

Hello,

I like the Idea to add an Exclude List (and optional a Defrag only: .... Include List) to the *.INI.

cheers

at least once a day : to think different ;o)

hi

it would be nice to see defraggler incorpaorted into windows explorer context menu. right click on a file to defrag. ive been using o&o defrag for a while but im getting more and more drawn to defraggler. if you could do this then i would be using this program full time

also if you could give the option to send files to the end of the drive via right click. i.e. i use virtual box alot and i have alot of virtual HDD on my hard disk. even if the file is not fragmented. could you make an option to move the file to the end of the drive away from all the major windows files. this would come in handy as the virtual HDD file grows bigger and just keep getting fragmented getting in the way of all the windows files.

keep up the good work guys!!!

I believe there is a context menu shell installer for Defraggler. You can find it stickied at the top of the Defraggler forum I believe... It doesn't offer context menu support to move files to the end of the drive I do not believe, but I do not use the shell extension.

Hope that helps...

I'd like to see the option(s) to defrag only certain file sizes on the schedule tab.

1. Defrag files smaller/larger than XX MB/GB.

2. Defrag files between file size XX MB/GB and XX MB/GB.

I say this as I don't see a reason to defrag the hibernation file, system restore files or the page file. Which are normally extremely large files and it's a waste of time to defrag them.

(Original thread Defraggler - Interface Design Suggestions got no reaction, archiving info here)

Setup: Defraggler v1.06.118 using Windows XP Pro, SP3

I am starting a new suggestion thread because the old one contains many already added suggestions, plus I'd like to get some feedback from the other users here. Some things have been previously suggested, I mention them again to emphasize their, IMO, usefulness.

1) A visual indicator for the Dragbar between Disk Map and Tabs

It would be nice to have a
visual dragbar
separating the disk map from the drive/file list tabs.

Additions:

• Double-click
    on dragbar to
    hide the tabs completely
    and to open them up again.

• Alternative:
    A
    down arrow
    icon in the dragbar lets the user minimize (or better hide completely) the tabs, thus maximizing the the disk map area (yes, I like to watch the defragmentation in as much detail as possible). An
    up arrow
    icon would be shown on the dragbar when the tab area is in minimized (hidden) state, letting the user open up the
    Drive/File list
    tabs again on the main screen.

2) Drive List with additional Info Columns - Degree of Fragmentation, Current File

As a fan of a large disk map display, I only use the
File list
tabs when manually quickly defragmenting files. Otherwise I'd minimize it, thus it would be very useful to have a few
more stats in the drive list columns
at the top of the screen.

• Once a
    Analyze
    (button) has been performed
    show fragmentation Information
    in additional columns, i.e.
    • N? of Fragmented Files

• Total Fragments

• Fragmentation % of Drive

• While running
    Action menu, Defrag Drive
    ... show the
    current defrag file
    in a column next to
    Status

• Show the information of the
    Status
    column also in the
    Defraggler's title bar
    , letting the user check on the state of defragmentation, when the tool is minimized to the Windows bar at the bottom of the screen (sorry forgot its name)... i.e. it would show (provided minimizing of Defraggler actually works):

Periform Defraggler
(45%)

3) Remember Size of Drive List, Disk Map, and Tabs areas

Since it is now possible to save all setting in an
.ini
file it should be possible to remember the size of the 3 areas, to avoid having to re-size them every time you restart Defraggler.

Also remember if the Tab area is hidden or not (see my suggestion further up).

4) Half-size Disk Map color Squares (blocks) for maximum detail?

I run Defraggler on a 1680x1050 screen in full screen mode and love watching Defraggler working on defrags. Since I am a curious fellow, it would be spiffy to
half the width and the height of the squares
representing the blocks in the disk map, to get
four times the block detail
. Keeping the one pixel frame (grid) around the blocks should still be fine then.

Note: This is intended as an additional alternate mode. The default display mode would still be available for folks that prefer less detail.

IMO a huge scrollable
disk map
(as suggested elsewhere) - like Windows Defrag uses - is not of much use, because you completely loose the overview.

5) File list tab title could show Fragmented File and Fragment counts?

Since there is a lot of space left in the Tab titles, I'd suggest updating the "
File list
" text to show a count for the number of fragmented files shown after a
Analyze
button run, and the total fragment count.

E.g.
File list
(87 files, 2345 fragments)

IMO, it is inconvenient having to look up those numbers in the
Drive
tab.

Hope the suggestions are of some use.

AEon

Queue up multiple drives to defrag, or even defrag two drives at once. I'm sure two different hard drives could easily pull off a simultaneous defrag, and with modern CPUs, I/O ops barely take up much CPU time anyways.

The shut down after defrag option would be useful if I could do it all at once. Why would someone defrag only one of their drives at night when they go to bed (which is when I assume this feature will be used), anyways?

Also, in addition to queuing defrags, it'd be nice if you could also queue Verifies and Free Space Defrags.

Hard disk drives will always be growing.

So please, add to Defraggler the ability to change the map's blocks cluster density. I mean, that the user could change this ?zoom? manually. It's like a "zoom" for the disk map. For example, showing 10 clusters per displayed block is a closer "zoom" than showing 100 clusters per displayed block. Of course, 10 clusters per displayed block will display more number of blocks than a density of 100 clusters per displayed block.

Also, please add the ability to show or hide the disk map completely. Hiding the map completely could make Defraggler run quicker (although, the command line version would be the quickest I suppose).

Thank you in advance.