V5 Incorrectly Identifies Drive as SSD & Also Obscures Taskbar

Anabna

I think it's pretty clear what many people think of the UI, so I'll skip that part as I'll just be repeating what other have said.  However, there are a couple of bugs I've noticed in V5 that I'm surprised no-ones mentioned.

1)  It incorrectly identifies a USB external drive as an SSD drive.  If I go to Tools > Drive Wiper, it shows both my C: drive and an external Western Digital My Passport USB drive as SSD's.  The C: drive is correct as it is an SSD, but the external drive is a spinner.  Therefore when you attempt to check the drive, an dialogue box appears saying secure wiping of the drive is NOT recommended, as it's a solid-state drive which can wear out prematurely when securely wiped.

2) When the CCleaner window is maximised and you have the Windows Taskbar set to auto-hide, it's no longer possible to access the toolbar.  You have to un-maximise the CCleaner window to access the Taskbar.

3) Not specific to V5, but the default settings for Photoshop cleaning aren't particularly good as it fails to clean photos from Bridge and Camera RAW caches.

C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Local\Adobe\CameraRaw\Cache\
C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Bridge CS4\Cache\

Also video files for Adobe Premiere:
C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache
C:\Users\[uSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common\Media Cache Files

• 3 months later...

I now have a need to wipe two old external, USB-connected hard drives. I was a bit shocked to find that CCleaner Drive Wiper listed all USB-connected drives as SSD, and indeed listed my internal D drive as not being a SSD despite the fact that it is one.  So, it doesn't let me do more than one pass secure erase on my hard disks, while allowing (if I tried!) maximum passes of secure erase on my SSD D drive, so helping to trash it! The developers do need to sort this out, so that the different drive types are all correctly identified, every time!

• Moderators

It's not a universal problem, as a USB attached hdd doesn't show as an SSD on my pc. A basic common factor with the O/P is that you have an SSD as an internal drive, which I don't (I have all hdd's).

In the meantime go ahead with a one pass wipe. And with the time saved read the endless posts on this forum why one pass is all you need.