WARNING: New buggy feature introduced - Think carefully before updating from version 4.17 to higher builds

c627627

Hi All,

I registered for only one thing: It seems to be an inevitable path for most software will turn to an ugly one, sooner or later.

Like many, one of reasons for using CCleaner is to disable auto-start services that are difficult to disable using other means, and now, CCleaner itself has become one that most people hated and used the program in the first place.

Too bad, I know this program and company now is popular (which has always been the starting point when a decent program to become a malware) so they won't mind to loss a some users.

But for myself, bye bye and I am going to stop using the program.

• Moderators
Hi All,

I registered for only one thing: It seems to be an inevitable path for most software will turn to an ugly one, sooner or later.

Like many, one of reasons for using CCleaner is to disable auto-start services that are difficult to disable using other means, and now, CCleaner itself has become one that most people hated and used the program in the first place.

Too bad, I know this program and company now is popular (which has always been the starting point when a decent program to become a malware) so they won't mind to loss a some users.

Yawns in troll's face

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Hi All,

Software evolves - get used to it.

Did you stop using Office when the ribbon was introduced?

Did you miss the Start Button in Windows 8 and did something about it?

Eventually all your beloved, familiar software will change and guess what, not everyone will be happy.

Take a spoonful of cement and harden up.

If you have a spleen to vent, tell the software supplier or better yet, your psychiatrist.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Software evolves - get used to it.

Eventually all your beloved, familiar software will change and guess what, not everyone will be happy.

If you have a spleen to vent, tell the software supplier or better yet, your psychiatrist.

You're comparing cosmetic changes to an intrusive active monitoring feature that was enabled by default in addition to not being well-tested. I, along with many other people, use CCleaner as on-demand cleaning tool, meaning I have zero interest in active monitoring.

But yes - generally when things like this happen, people stop using the software in question. I wasn't going to say anything because I already removed CCleaner in favor of something else (and was considering doing so before this release) but your post strikes me as ridiculous hand-waving in an attempt to rationalize their behavior. Telling people "software evolves - get used to it" does not change the fact that this release was a poor idea and people are within their rights to be irritated about it.

Just to be clear, I think CCleaner is a fine product and I thank Piriform for offering it for free for so many years. But free software or not, I feel like it's important to not lose focus on what made you popular in the first place.

Good grief, will ya listen to yourselves?
nergal:  Yawns in troll's face
mta:  If you have a spleen to vent, tell the software supplier or better yet, your psychiatrist.

Go here: http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showannouncement=15&f=5
Rules #1 & #5 suggest that rude posts are unacceptable.  However rule #12 maybe makes it OK for moderators.

Rule #12 also says "Threads and posts questioning the actions or decisions of forum moderations will be deleted on sight, . . ." so we'll see how this shakes out. 

It is possible that these folks are trying to inform the authors of CCleaner that they don't like the new change.  If it was my software I'd like to know that.  Remember when CCleaner deleted sandboxes by default?  Bad idea.  The Piri team changed it.  Good idea.  I always think about software from the point of view of folks who don't know anything about computers except to turn them on and use the internet or office products or look at the kids pictures.  This new function doesn't seem to auger well for them. 

About 8 years ago I decided to never again patronize a large chain of computer hardware stores.  This because of the smug, in your face attitude of the employees, mostly kids who have used computers for a year or two and taken a few classes..  Even though this chain is one of the best places to buy tech hardware, now I only go there to see what various things look like, then I buy them online when I get home.  

If the only basis for evaluating this forum were the posts in the last year or two, I would never even log in.

This forum was once one of the best the best starting points for learning about a wide variety of windows related issues, and the staff was friendly and shared their knowledge generously.  That drew in a lot of visitors & potential customers. However, if we make the place unpleasant enough, folks won't visit.  If nobody comes in to your store you don't sell much.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Obviously the monitoring has upset some people more than previous issues because lets face it it really was an IN THE FACE option nobody expected and disabling it wasn't easy.

As always people will vent on an open forum when something goes wrong, if their venting is within reason and not vulgar I ignore it. Thing is the monitoring can be completely disabled and completely forgotten about, as in you never even have to use it which I'll be doing myself.

I remember a similar fuss months ago about the File Finder, if you don't like a part of the program don't use it, it's really that simple -- think of all the stuff that's in Windows, we surely don't use portions of it we don't want to.

Some people ask for features to be added so they'll only need one cleaning tool installed instead of several which is understandable, and if the developers agree it's worthwhile its really up to them to include it, but we are not forced to use every single feature.

I'll take this one.

1. Yes!! Absolutely. There is NO difference between WIndows 7 and Windows 8 user interface thanks to Classic Shell freeware which simply gives us Metro as an option which activates as a Shift+Click on the Windows 8 Start Button, rather than having Metro jammed down our throats as default: Proof: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/750333-Downgrading-Samsung-Ativ-book-9-lite?p=7732667&viewfull=1#post7732667

2. Yes! Both figured out how to install Office 2003 alongside Office 2013 and Installed an add-in custom Ribbon using freeware. Proof: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/725542-How-to-install-both-MS-Office-2003-and-MS-Office-2013-on-the-same-system

3. Version 4.18 needs to be pulled, no new releases should be released other than as Beta releases of course. At the very least change 4.18 name to 4.18 Beta 2, because that is exactly what it is.

Version 4.17 should be the last stable release with Auto-update off and no updating until confirmed stable new release has been released detailing what new features do.

>> We do not know what monitoring does and why it is necessary? << We do not wish CCleaner to be starting up with Windows by default. We do not wish to have Ccleaner permanently running on our systems. The purpose of this program is to free up resources.

This would be a different story if many of the features you want to introduce were not enabled by default and were there as an option only.

Thanks, Reith and Login123,

I wasn’t going to reply since the previous two comments are too funny.

Comparing Piriform with Microsoft?  WOW, what were they smoking?  If it was their mindset at this size, think what would they do if they do become a larger company? And even if it was the case, (LOL, I can’t stop laughing), see what happened to Windows 8.xx and Vista? i.e. Windows 7 and the upcoming Windows 9.

The moderator tries to paint it as we, users, don’t know how to uncheck/disable the option rather than the software was released without such abilities.

I never had problems for finding alternatives, and even with the size of Microsoft, they need to bow down to enterprises purchasing power.  As for Piriform?  LOL.

In any case, I appreciate your comments and efforts to save the company, as for myself, I will move on but what I experienced here certainly will be a guideline for the future evaluation of the company.

Take care.

right, there's no better way to screwup your software product, than something like this.  forcing new releases to use a new option that nobody wants.  I've lost confidence in CCleaner, because of their own negligence in testing out their so called improved release.  very poor major testing of a new release, that programmers should be ashamed of themselves.  if customers lose confidence in their credibility, then they are done, as they should be.

Wow...I guess when I get out of my way and disable the CCleaner tray icon via msconfig.exe, the most basic and fundamental thing you can do that should always work, and CCleaner renews the entry for the startup tray icon EVERY TIME I start it...that's the way of the programmers to give customers the middle finger.  :rolleyes:

Well...it seems that every other year I'm looking for a new tool like this. They start of clean and simple but sooner or later they become a corporation that, in order to stay in the competition, has to exploit their customers whenever and however they can. Good bye.

Go here.

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=41860

Try the steps in the order they are listed in post #1. 

On this win xp box the tray icon does not reappear when ccleaner is restarted. 

Not sure if it would appear after restarting the computer.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 4 weeks later...

so version V4.19 is released, but unless it "does not" enable the Monitoring by default, I will not download any new versions of CCleaner, and stay with V4.17 forever.  it's ridiculous for it to be enabled, after it's obvious from these discussions, that most people do not want it.  give me a version that does not enable Monitoring by default, and I'll continue to upgrade.

Ccleaner is one of the most useful programs and one of the best in its class.

Just released v4.18 introduces a very buggy mandatory Monitoring feature.

It is ON by default, not as a feature which can be turned ON optionally. It is difficult to impossible to disable on some systems. Most annoyingly, it stays in the Task Bar even if you launch CCleaner with a shortcut which has an /AUTO string at the end, which should terminate the program after it executes its main cleaning function, but it doesn't - even after you adjust options...

Version 4.19 finally fixes the problem of CCleaner staying in the Task Bar even if you launch CCleaner with a shortcut which has an /AUTO string at the end, which finally today terminates the program after it executes its main cleaning function.

I didn't even want to look at the other Monitoring feature until the taskbar bug was fixed.

So let me just say there is *a lot* of suspicion about CClenaer after version 4.18, a lot of false rumors and the developers should be aware about them.

• What is the Monitoring feature? What does it do exactly?

• Can it be totally and completely disabled?

• Why was CCleaner registering itself to start at Windows Startup when its very purpose is to free system resources?

• Are there any reports of CCleaner still executing these new features even after they are disabled, as was the case in version 4.18?

• Does Ccleaner phone home any information whatsoever other than *only* phoning home to check for a new version? Why does it phone home when executing Setup.exe, is it only to check for a new version?

• Is any registry hacking still necessary to disable these new Ccleaner features?

• Off topic: Why does this forum disable Firefox native spell checking?

right, and how hard can it be, to not install without the Monitor enabled?  I've been a programmer my whole life, and being forced to have to disable something that people don't seem to want anyway, stinks to high heaven, and makes me very skeptical about the product.  I don't want Monitoring at all, and because they force it down your throat, makes me wonder what they are doing.   I'm losing any confidence in their software, reminds me of adware or spyware.

• Moderators

Nobody is forcing anything. An accidental enabling of an new option is not as big an issue a spyware, or even PUP. Uncheck the options and you're gold.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Nobody is forcing anything. An accidental enabling of an new option is not as big an issue a spyware, or even PUP. Uncheck the options and you're gold.

yes they are, they are forcing me to have to disable something, that apparently nobody wants.  if they can't change that,  then they have a motive, that is suspicious.  I don't like suspicious software at all.

• Moderators

• Off topic: Why does this forum disable Firefox native spell checking?

been an issue for ages, something to do with the boards software.

whenever I install a new FF version (from scratch, updates are fine) I have to jink around with FF's options to turn on/turn off spell checking, add different languages and even add dictionaries.  eventually it kicks in and the spelling is checked as you type.

even after all that coxing, if it doesn't work, a couple of uses later, it'll just magically start working.

the immediate fix is to right click your post you're writing and tick Check Spelling and go into Languages and select a language.

• Moderators

The fact that there is a vocal minority over this does not make it apparent that nobody wants it. Don't get me wrong I was/am part of the actual vocal minority, those who spoke against this feature each time it was offered in the suggestions board by other members who do want such feature. It was a bit broken. It forced you into it being and staying enabled ON ACCIDENT. They quickly realized the issue via threads like this, rushed out instructions and a new build. Suspicious software doesn't announce what it's doing. This feature was part of the release notes, so i find nothing unusual past a bug occurring.

Have you even tried 4.19 (or even the quickly fixed version) to see if it fixes it.

The program is not monitoring and sending back to home, it's watching so it can auto clean and (for some reason still unknown to me) tied ccleaner update checking into it.

I would call it a vocal majority myself, but you use whatever spin you want.  it should be offered as an option, not a default.  that's an easy change, and very annoying they cannot simply change it.  no more excuses, either change it, or lose customers.  very simple, unless...........

• Moderators

It's already been changed AFAIK

I admit that I have not searched if this has changed but I do remember reading multiple posts about how there were no clear Release Notes on the new Monitoring features (!)

It was said that the developers "should" post clear description of just what it is that Monitoring does and how.... The notion that they released this entire new feature Which *registered itself* to run at Windows Startup (!) without explaining the very purpose of monitoring -- this was a big Red Flag.

So let's start from the beginning:

What exactly does Monitoring do and how does it do it?

What information does it collect?

What exactly, if anything, is being sent OUT of our computers to CCleaner servers...?

Can developers assure us that nothing whatsoever is being sent out, other than the version number (for update checking purposes)?

That would be a good start.

• Moderators
Documentation has been added to the docs site:Changing monitoring settings (CCleaner Free) It can be read at:http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/ccleaner-settings/changing-monitoring-settings-ccleaner-free

But in short: ccleaner stays running in system tray and cleans (either browser, system (and maybe applications) tab(s) of ccleaner, or both) at the intervals shown in the monitoring options.

Active monitor checks for updates and is required to allow ccleaner to monitor the junks afore mentioned

Edited for more information

• Moderators
What exactly does Monitoring do and how does it do it?

What information does it collect?

What exactly, if anything, is being sent OUT of our computers to CCleaner servers...?

Can developers assure us that nothing whatsoever is being sent out, other than the version number (for update checking purposes)?

Unless you see the code, all anyone can tell you will be an educated guess.

Even if a Dev Team member chimes in, which is rare in itself, they ask for more info to help resolve an issue, I've never seen a post from them detailing the inner working of their products.

I suppose the focus is less on inner workings, and more on motive of making Monitoring default. I mean, do the majority of people really want CCleaner running permanently? If not, than what is the motive in making it mandatory as default?

I think that's the question here that was fueled by our inability to disable it initially and the confusion about reg hacks being required to disable it.... and people posting that the developers were not 100% clear on what exactly the monitoring does, what information does it collect, just lack of Release Notes fully detailing its function.

If anyone installed the Windows 10 preview, does version 4.17 clean it as far as you can tell? If it does, then staying on version 4.17 for the next five years would be the answer to removing all this confusion.