Analyze taking almost 20 minutes to complete

Pressing the Analyze button takes almost 20 minutes to complete.  

It gets stuck (or just slows down) in my C:\winnt\temp\ folder and seems to be taking forever to go through HPSLP... log files.  

Running cCleaner after the analysis is very fast.  About 60 seconds.  

This happens every time I run cCleaner.  (But not immediately after the computer has been cleaned)

Using Windows XP SP3.  I've attached a screen shot after the analysis was complete.  

Any ideas?  

post-70025-0-99365800-1406119974_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Hopefully iSierras will be using an HP printer as are the users in the link I posted above, then at least it'll cut down on troubleshooting the reason

I also have this problem with my C7280. I only found it when my C drive almost filled up and the machine was grinding to a halt. I ran the drive's Properties/Disk Cleanup routines but that didn't release much space. I eventually took a look at the Windows\Temp folder and there were thousands and thousands of these little log files there. We've only had the printer a few months and it was just dumping these files into what's supposed to be a location for temporary files, not permanent log files. No wonder the cleanup wasn't doing much. Since I originally cleared them out it has since written 3,400 of these from 27th April till 4th May (over 400 a day). I googled the problem and found this thread on this forum, which I hadn't been aware of before.

This printer is connected to three PCs on our home wireless network - two running XP and one Vista. It only seems to be the XP machines which get this phenomenon as the Vista machine only seems to get a few every day (less than 10), unlike Evenstar who started this thread. However, as far as I can tell the vast vast majority of these logs (on both OS) are merely informational and do not describe any kind of error situation (well, any that the user can relate to anyway).

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hopefully iSierras will be using an HP printer as are the users in the link I posted above, then at least it'll cut down on troubleshooting the reason

Thanks Hazelnut,

I am indeed using a HP printer and it could very well be the same problem.

In fact I have a home set up that is very similar to the one you found.  

I'll try the fixes that the users in that HP forum tried and hopefully it will also fix my cCleaner problem

Thanks again...

Let us know how it works out for you.

Good luck!!

Last night, I deleted about 30,000 little files in my WINNT\Temp folder.  These were all about 1kb in size and created by my HP software just like the posters you found in the HP forum.

After I deleted them, I defragged and turned off the computer.

This morning, the folder is still empty, but cCleaner still takes about a lot longer than it should for analyzing an almost completely clean computer.  As you can see by the screen shot, it took almost 6 minutes to analyze.  

So although fixing the HP problem helped, I think there is still something wrong with my installation.

Any thoughts?

post-70025-0-52061900-1406204293_thumb.jpg

So I did a small test, simple setup.  Created a batch file that creates files, a lot of files.
While the batch was creating the files I ran CCleaner Analyze. The Analyze took incrementally longer and longer to complete.

Question, Did you run any downloads, have any open Browsers, moving files or removing files while you ran the Analyze ?

Every line of code written by man can be undone by man

"A loser in the real world is still a loser in the net!" - .hack//SIGN

Getting old is inevitable,  growing up is optional !!

• Moderators

Also check that Symantec (your av) isn't monitoring the files as ccleaner is analyzing them.

Try as a test turning off Symantec and then analysing.

(Don't forget to turn it back on again !)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Question, Did you run any downloads, have any open Browsers, moving files or removing files while you ran the Analyze ?

No I'm not doing any downloads, but as Outlook is opened, it does do it's own thing in pulling in email.  And the Antivirus is also on.  So I'll try turning it off before cleaning from now on.

I just did one and found that with Outlook and Antivirus off, the scan takes under 3 minutes.  So I think I can live with that...

One other thing though, I've noticed that my HP software continues to create those files (lots of log files) in the WINNT\Temp folder and cCleaner doesn't delete them.  Which is probably why it accumulated to over 30,000 little log files over time.  Other than remembering to manually deleting them on my own, is there any reason why cCleaner isn't deleting these files in the temp folder?  

Thanks for all your help...

• Moderators

is there any reason why cCleaner isn't deleting these files in the temp folder?  

Disable the 24 Hour Rule in CCleaner by going into:

Options > Settings > Advanced > And then disable/untick: "Only delete files in the Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours"

Edit:

You can also optionally make an Include in CCleaner, this will make it completely ignore the 24 Hour rule settings for deleting the contents of the Temp folder. To do that:

1. Go into: Options > Include > Add > Drive or Folder, browse to your WINNT\Temp folder, and click OK.

2. Click the Cleaner (brush icon), and then in the Windows (tab) scroll all the way to the bottom, and finally under Advanced enable/tick "Custom Files and Folders"

Edited by Andavari

Disable the 24 Hour Rule in CCleaner by going into:

Options > Settings > Advanced > And then disable/untick: "Only delete files in the Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours"

Edit:

You can also optionally make an Include in CCleaner, this will make it completely ignore the 24 Hour rule settings for deleting the contents of the Temp folder. To do that:

1. Go into: Options > Include > Add > Drive or Folder, browse to your WINNT\Temp folder, and click OK.

2. Click the Cleaner (brush icon), and then in the Windows (tab) scroll all the way to the bottom, and finally under Advanced enable/tick "Custom Files and Folders"

Thanks, adding the WINNT\Temp folder was the missing link.  I guess cCleaner didn't see this as a Windows temp folder?!

And thanks to all for you support.