Username/Local Settings/Temp files on WinXP startup

Keithuk

Hi guys/gals.

Now I've had a new computer system for the past 5 days. Now I use Uninstall Manager which checks what new files have been added to a drive since the last check. I've mensioned this on other posts on here but no one is interested.

I do a clean with CC and everytime I start up again the exact same files are in the Username/Local Settings/Temp folder. Thats straight after startup not after something has been running. These are Arabic.bin, Czech.bin, Danish.bin, Dutch.bin, English.bin, Finnish.bin, French.bin, German.bin, Greek.bin, Hebrew.bin, Hungarian.bin, Italian.bin, Japanese.bin, Korean.bin, Lithuanian.bin, Norwegian.bin, Polish.bin, Portuguese(Brazil).bin, Portuguese.bin, Russian.bin, SimChin.bin, Slovenian.bin, Spanish.bin, Swedish.bin, Thai.bin, TradChin.bin, Turkish.bin.

Now these 27 files are obviously something to do with languages but why? I've only installed my usual software and I never had these on Win9x/ME. Is it another cockup WinXP does?

Now I've don't a web search for these files not much comes back only Trojan, Malware, hyjackers. I don't a virus check but nothing shows up.

Does anyone else have these same files in their /Local Settings/Temp folder? ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

Thanks Rorschach112.

That definitely does not sound malware related

Read the Before you Post sticky if you want me to make sure

I would say its malware because I only got on the web last night and these files have been there a few days.

I've read the Before you Post sticky but that doesn't point me in the right direction. I would like to see how many other users have these files in the Temp folder. You haven't said if you do or not and I don't suppose users check what files are there then just do a clean. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

I wonder if this would help Keith.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/showpost....amp;postcount=3

I have the file mentioned in my startup, but no bin files in my temp folder. There's a mention further down the topic about language settings.

If you're not posting logs we could move this out of Spyware Hell, so you can get more input from the members. They can't post in here.

Up to you of course.

I wonder if this would help Keith.

I have the file mentioned in my startup, but no bin files in my temp folder. There's a mention further down the topic about language settings.

If you're not posting logs we could move this out of Spyware Hell, so you can get more input from the members. They can't post in here.

Dennis if they aren't in your /Username/Local Settings/Temp folder then where are yours?

(Keith we will have to move this thread at the end of today if no logs are posted)

Thanks Dennis and Hazel for your input. I found both those links when I Googled.

I'm sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I was going to post in Hardware then I remembered Spyware I know its not directly related. Please move this topic to a forum of your choice. The Lounge would be alright I assume. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

In a thread here the writer states he deletes them as The Lang (Language) folder and its language files are created by his Realtek AC97 audio driver installation. Do you have that?

They are in alphabetical order as he writes about them

http://www.graphixanstuff.com/Forum/index.php?showtopic=9394

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I do have those files Keith. I found them in System32:

I'm guessing you have some program accessing them for whatever reason, and creating those temp file copies.

I have the Lang folder but there is nothing in there Dennis perhaps because they have been moved to Local Settings\Temp.

In a thread here the writer states he deletes them as The Lang (Language) folder and its language files are created by his Realtek AC97 audio driver installation. Do you have that?

Thanks for searching Hazel, your a star. :wub:

Yes I do have a Realtek audio card built into the motherboard which I hate. I don't have any Realtek short-cuts to check or change settings. I have a \Program Files\Realtek folder but no exe appears to work. Only the Realtek Ethernet uninstaller.

I don't have a 1033 (English) folder but I have 1025, 1028, 1031, 1037, 1041, 1042, 1054 with nothing in there. Only 1033 has dwintl.dll for error reporting. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

• Moderators

Off the top of my head I wonder if there would be any value in creating that folder, and sticking the bin files in it.

I also have Realtek Audio, so it possibly needs those files for whatever reason. Not finding them may cause the creation of temp alternatives.

I've never touched that folder, but it seems to be static and only 500+ kb.

Just a thought.

I wouldn't have thought that Realtek Audio would have needed them because it should know my system is English. When I installed the drivers I think it asked the language. I shall have to install them again to see what shows. They are editable with NotePad but it doesn't tell you much. If they are needed then you shouldn't be able to delete them which you can no problem.

I think I might try disabling the Audio in the CMOS/BIOS to see if they still show up in Temp. When I was finding all the bit for the computer I said I want a very good seperate sound card. They said that the onboard sound card is excellent you don't need a seperate sound card, bull.

Actually I took the computer back to OverClockers last Thursday because the didn't fit the floppy drive. Its like buying a brand new car and ordering special alloy wheels and it turns up with steel. Don't they read job cards? I bought another DVD DVD?RW because I couldn't find a proper fast CD CD?RW writer. When I took the cover off to fit the drive I could find the power cable but I couldn't find the data cable. I asked them to fit it while they were fitting the floppy. I also had in Device Manager two exclamation marks on Ethernet Adaptor and SM Bus connector/adaptor. I didn't know it had an Ethernet Adaptor so I asked them to sort this exclamation which they did, they installed the drivers.

When the guy on reception came back he said they were installing the Realtek drivers. Well I installed those and it worked. They said they were installing new drivers downloaded. Now I haven't done a search for these on Realtek but I suppose they could be handy. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best

I think I might try disabling the Audio in the CMOS/BIOS to see if they still show up in Temp.

Ok update. When I disabled the Onboard Audio Function in the CMOS/BIOS and did a restart all these files are now missing from the Temp folder. I restarted and enabled the Onboard Audio Function and they all come back.

Thanks for all your suggestions but I think we can mark this topic as [Resolved]. ;)

Keith

Windows XP 2002 SP3

IE 7.0

Martin2k

Rorshach112 is the best